Features Editor, Mic
Editorial – Mic /
Mic is seeking a features editor to oversee long-form articles, including profiles, reported pieces, essays, and exclusive interviews. Candidates should be rabid consumers of news and pop culture and have an interest in producing work at the intersection of culture, politics, identity, race, LGBTQ experiences, intersectional feminism, and climate change. We’re looking for a versatile editor with range, someone who is as comfortable assigning a 2,000-word piece on the latest youth-led climate campaign as they are a deep dive into the upcoming reboot of Fraggle Rock or review on Lana De Rey’s latest album.
Mic’s features desk should drive conversation and spark new ways of thinking about the dominant cultural figures and narratives of our time, as well as introduce our audience to the up-and-coming creators who will be tomorrow’s tastemakers and trend-setters. Longform articles are crucial to shaping the voice and identity of the site, and we are looking for an ambitious editor who can assign and execute must-read work across Mic’s areas of coverage.
Ideal candidates should have experience editing agenda-setting features at a national publication, as well as a sprawling network of writers whose diverse voices they would like to bring to Mic.
- Commission and edit features, essays, and reported pieces
- Work with Mic’s section editors to shape and refine their most ambitious work
- Create and manage the workflow of assigning and editing features alongside Mic's Managing Editor
- Recruit and build relationships with established writers and fresh voices alike
- 3+ years of experience editing features at a major publication
- Demonstrated ability to assign relevant, thought-provoking stories that spark conversation
- Knack for identifying big, important stories before they become big, important stories
- Self-starter as well as a team player who enjoys collaborating with others
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced digital newsroom
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 100 million readers and 105 social fans turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, NYLON, The Zoe Report, W, Fatherly, Romper, Scary Mommy, The Dad, Gawker, Input, Inverse, and Mic – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in New York City.