Director & Counsel, Legal Affairs
New York, NY /
Business & Operations – Operations /
BDG is looking for a highly qualified attorney to join its legal team in a Director & Counsel, Legal Affairs role. This key strategic resource will report to the Senior Director & Counsel, Legal Affairs, and will provide legal advice, counsel, and representation through researching and advising on various legal issues and the negotiation, drafting, and management of agreements for a broad range of topics and transactions. The ideal candidate is a highly self-motivated, business-minded attorney who is resourceful, can manage multiple projects and competing priorities comfortably, and brings extraordinary judgment and interpersonal skills to the role.
Applicants must be able to work EST hours, but remote applicants are accepted at this time.
- Serve as a legal advisor on business strategy, commercial transactions, business development, and execution in close coordination with the Senior Director & Counsel, Legal Affairs. This includes analyzing contracts, responding to business questions, and advising the Senior Director & Counsel and the Executive Management Team to assist with business decisions.
- Proactively and creatively evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions as BDG grows, adds new brands and business lines
- Assisting the Senior Director & Counsel, Legal Affairs with improving internal processes and developing strategies to comply with new legal requirements relevant to BDG’s business.
- Developing training materials and hosting training sessions with BDG’s internal teams on relevant legal topics and requirements
- Researching, advising on, and providing risk assessments for various legal issues, including intellectual property, defamation, fair use, contract law, privacy and data security, advertising, promotions, sweepstakes and contests, cause-related marketing, child performer obligations, and union and guild requirements
- Structure, negotiate, draft and close a wide range of agreements for internal client groups including Ad Sales, Marketing, Sales Ops, Editorial, Video, Finance, HR, and PR, including the following:
- Content licensing agreements, distribution agreements, and content production agreements (e.g., video content, editorial content, photographic content) across all media platforms
- Advertising, sponsorship, and marketing agreements (including agreements with advertising technology providers and exchanges)
- Ad sales client contracts including custom content, event SOWs, upfronts, content and measurement studies, sweepstakes, and production agreements, among others.
- Technology contracts, software/technology licensing and development agreements (including SaaS), IT agreements.
- Sourcing/procurement/vendor contracts
- HR-related agreements including benefits agreements, freelancer, and consultant agreements.
- Conduct legal review of video and editorial content
- Handle copyright matters and claims, including drafting cease and desist letters and settlement agreements.
- Liaise with Outside Counsel as needed.
- Assist with other matters and projects as needed.
- Law degree (J.D.) required
- Must be an active member in good standing of the New York bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel in New York State
- 6-8 years post-J.D. experience at a law firm and/or as an in-house counsel
- Ability to develop a nuanced understanding of BDG and our industry
- Demonstrated experience with print media, privacy law, child performer obligations, and/or SAG-AFTRA or other similar unions or guilds a plus
- Must possess strong interpersonal and negotiation skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to respond to and interact with senior-level creative and business executives in a professional, articulate, personable, and helpful manner
- Demonstrated drive for results and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial (sometimes hectic) environment
- Proficient with MS Office and Adobe Sign; experience with contract management software a plus
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage and effectively prioritize multiple projects
- A demonstrated ability to work independently while serving a variety of departments within the company
- A standout team member who can easily harmonize with a range of personalities and be proactive to build great relationships with others in the organization to brainstorm and get ideas or ask questions
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.