Trending News Writer, Bustle
Editorial – Bustle /
Bustle is seeking a remote, part-time writer to cover trending news across several verticals. Day-to-day responsibilities include writing reported articles (both short turnaround and longer lead), service stories, and digestible explainers about topics like activism and politics. Examples of the kinds of articles you’d work on include: 4 Ways To Support Asian-American Communities Right Now, Why Texas Wasn’t Prepared For Winter Weather, and 3 Women Share How Coronavirus-Fueled Racism Has Affected Them.
The majority of stories will require the writer to find sources, conduct phone interviews, and cite peer-reviewed studies. A network of industry contacts and go-to experts is a plus.
Candidates must have availability to work up to 12 hours per week during business hours, ET. The writer will work remotely and communicate with the Health & Wellness editor and Rule Breakers Editor while online.
- Write up to 3 500-word stories per week comprising a mix of pitches and assignments
- Stay up-to-date on national and global news in social justice movements
- Manage ongoing assignments, including conducting interviews and follow-up reporting
- Applicants should have at least 2 years experience covering trending news, social justice, or politics at an online publication
- Ability to turn in clean, well-sourced, accurate copy in a timely fashion
- Comfort covering sensitive topics
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
- A sense for what makes a Bustle story
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, Inverse, Mic, NYLON, W, Romper, Input, and The Zoe Report — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.