Instructor, Data Science (Part Time, Contract) Pool
Learning – Instruction /
We started Bloom Institute of Technology because we believe that the “traditional” model of higher education is broken. Every year, people as young as 17 years old take on tens of thousands of dollars in student debt and pray that the education they’re investing in will land them on a job on the other side.
Unfortunately, traditional colleges and universities have no incentive to ensure their graduates get hired – they get paid regardless.
At BloomTech, we believe there is a better way to approach education.
Instead of asking our students to bet on us, we bet on them first. This paradigm-shifting model allows us to align the incentives of the school with the incentives of our students – and we all win when our graduates succeed.
We’re in this together.
If that sounds exciting to you, let’s talk. Our success depends on building teams who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we don’t just accept differences – we celebrate them. BloomTech welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups and non-traditional backgrounds who can appreciate the diverse student communities that we serve and are looking to grow into. This includes women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
What You'll Do:
- We run programs during the day and evening PST for learners and currently looking for instructors to support both
- Provide academic support to learners in the form of office hours and/or live chat
- Allocate time for proactive outreach for academic help on a weekly basis
- Days/Times will vary and hours will be on average 10 hours per week but up to a maximum of 25 hours as needed
- Provide and document curriculum feedback on a regular basis
- Report to BloomTech on student progress and successes throughout the course
- Review quantitative and qualitative feedback given to students
- Collaborate cross-functionally as needed
What You'll Need:
- If your highest level of education is a College Degree (proof required), you are required to have 3+ years of working experience in a Data Science role. Or your highest level of education is High School or a GED (proof required), you are to have 5+ years of working experience in a data science role
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts to a novice; strong empathy for learners
- Process-oriented with exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Extremely comfortable and compelling in public speaking situations
- Strong Python programming skills, and experience with the Python Data Science ecosystem (pandas, numpy, scikit-learn, etc.)
- Strong subject matter expertise in Data Science - being broadly aware of practices, and knowing at least a few subtopics in depth
- Takes initiative and proactively solves problems
- Self-starting with the ability to effectively work autonomously with little oversight
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals
BloomTech is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, veteran or military status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
BloomTech is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. Please let us know if you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability.