Algae Technician - FT
Operations – Algae Ops /
Full Time, Hourly
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
As a key member of Blue Ocean Barns’ team, the Algae Technician will play an important role in the daily care of our special algae. The Algae Technician is essential and will contribute to all aspects of feeding and caring for algae that might include monitoring, sorting, inspection under a microscope, selection, transfers, weighing and data analysis for both indoor and outdoor production. The Algae Technician will ensure that the algae consistently have a clean and safe environment in order to achieve optimum growth and quality standards per Blue Ocean Barns protocols.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform duties accurately and according to protocols, providing optimal care to the algae independently and with minimal supervision, once trained.
- Apply judgment and creativity to the algae cultivation process, suggesting improvements to supervisors.
- Update protocols periodically as improved tested procedures are implemented.
- Maintain daily records of care activities and observations, noting patterns and changes.
- Prepare clean vessels and nutrient-rich water according to protocols and conduct water exchanges, inspecting algae material using a dissecting and/or compound microscope.
- Photograph specimens according to protocol.
- Maintain small specimens used as seed stock.
- Assist with and maintain inventory of equipment and supplies.
- Create and maintain a clean environment, following all safety and biosecurity procedures.
- Respect and protect the confidentiality of the company’s proprietary information.
- Commit to bringing one's best self to work daily including an eagerness to learn and contribute as a team member and as an individual.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed by the supervisor.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week; including occasional weekends, holidays and/or on call. Regular attendance and punctuality is essential to carrying out the duties of this position.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, both inside an air conditioned indoor lab with concrete floors and outside on on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, primarily outdoors in a hot, humid environment, occasionally on wet and uneven surfaces.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- Ability to use math skills in performing duties.
- Ability or willingness to learn to utilize laboratory equipment and work in a sterile environment.
- Ability to learn and use various computer systems (for example: Excel, Google docs, Hoboware).
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines.
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines including wearing a full-face respirator for limited periods of time.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience.
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents.
- PTO available
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan, sharing in ownership of the company
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.