Algae Processing Technician
Kailua-Kona, HI /
Operations – Warehouse & Processing /
Full Time, Hourly
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
The BOB Farm Operations team is in the early stages of building out its prototype outdoor algae farm, and we are now seeking an experienced technician who will be responsible for processing our algae in a commercial-grade freeze dryer and coordinating the continuous improvement of processing procedures. We seek team members who share the values of the company and who are energized by the challenge of creating a carbon-neutral livestock industry for the next generation.
Critical to our success is a team member who is, firstly, skilled in the art and practice of executing consistent operations according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), but who is also able to take on expansive and evolving responsibilities. In our present circumstances, we are looking for someone to take the lead as follows:
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Operate a variety of equipment in an aquaculture setting, including dewatering screens, dryers, and product packaging equipment.
- Consistently maintain processing area according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) requirements.
- Ensure that all processing data, including but not limited to raw inventory, processed inventory, and batch yield are collected and accurate.
- Coordinate shipment of processed materials to the company’s warehouse facility in San Diego.
- Support algae production and quality assurance in aquaculture as needed and directed by the Algae Production Manager while processing needs continue to ramp up.
Experience and Abilities
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week; likely will include some weekends, some holidays and/or on call. Regular attendance and punctuality is essential to carrying out the duties of this position.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, primarily in an air conditioned indoor lab with concrete floors, occasionally on wet surfaces.
- Ability and willingness to work inside walk-in freezer for short periods of time, maintaining organization of inventory and preparing material for processing
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- Ability to use math skills in performing duties.
- Ability or willingness to learn to utilize laboratory equipment and heavy machinery
- Ability to learn and use various computer systems (for example: Excel, Google docs, Hoboware)
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines.
- Experience in high growth companies / start-ups desired but not required.
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines including wearing a full-face respirator for limited periods of time.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.