Safety & Compliance Technician (Safety)
Operations – Safety & Compliance /
Full Time, Hourly
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
BOB has successfully transitioned the cultivation of the tetrasporophyte phase of Asparagopsis taxiformis (a red macroalgae) from the laboratory to a 4 acre outdoor production facility located at the Company’s headquarters in Kailua-Kona, HI (NELHA). The Company is currently expanding outdoor cultivation to our first international site located in Baja, Mexico. In anticipation of this rapid scale-up, the Company is expanding our Safety and Compliance (S&C) team, which will be responsible for maintaining the safety of all Blue Ocean Barns team members and ensuring our scientific and manufacturing processes are compliant with applicable regulatory requirements.
The S&C Technician, Safety & Regulatory will play a key role on the Company’s Safety and Compliance Team, which is physically located in Kailua-Kona, HI. This role reports to the S&C Manager. The S&C Technician, Safety & Regulatory mainly supports the S&C department by working to ensure that all employees at the company can complete their work safely.
- Engage in a safe and healthy work environment to strive for zero accidents. Maintain a safe working environment in compliance with Blue Ocean Barn policies, local/state/federal laws, and OSHA standards. Maintain documentation of the company's safety procedures, accidents and related events.
- Conduct new hire safety training and maintain records. Educate current team members on safety standards and expectations as well as safe machinery operation across production, processing, and construction in lab and outdoor environments.
- Ensure completion of behavioral based safety observations and communication.
- Provide recommendations for improving safety in the workplace, including emergency preparedness, accident prevention, general safety, and risk management. Work with supervisor and company leadership to implement recommendations.
- Work with 3rd party HR partner (ProService) and People Operations to investigate accidents that occur onsite and identify possible causes of the accident. Assist company and employees as needed during incidents. Review results and action items with supervisor and company leadership, including hazard assessments, recommendations for improvements, and communication of resolution to affected employees.
- Act as safety liaison and on-site leader for emergency action plans and associated events like fire, earthquake, tsunami, and volcanic eruption/lava.
- Partner with S&C Manager and S&C Technician (Doc Control) to support their work when needed. This may include:
- Assist with document control system maintenance.
- Coordinate the issuance, revision, review and approval of SOPs and other documents.
- Support employee training initiatives pertaining to documentation and compliance.
- Apply company policies and procedures to answer questions and resolve a variety of issues. This includes interacting with supervisors and peers to provide feedback on work and gain cooperation in adhering to established policies.
- Ensure company compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements, especially 21 CFR 507.
- Ensure adherence to cGMPs, HACCP, SOPs, and the Food Safety Plan for processing activities.
- Assist with internal and external audits.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives at the company and team level.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Abilities
- Two years’ experience in safety in a production, manufacturing, agriculture, industrial, military, or related environment.
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements, as well as Hawai’i and California Workers’ Compensation law. Registration as a Certified Safety Professional or similar form of licensure as a safety officer (e.g., OSHA 30) is preferred.
- Preferred: Maintaining certification as a FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)
- Experience with Microsoft and Google Suite products.
- Must be capable of making well-informed decisions in both routine and non-routine situations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Experience with technical writing is preferred.
- Ability to facilitate employee trainings and presentations.
- Self motivated and able to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Initiative to lead continuous improvement efforts pertaining to Safety & Compliance.
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week; including occasional weekends, holidays and/or on call. Regular attendance and punctuality is essential to carrying out the duties of this position.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, both inside an air conditioned indoor lab with concrete floors and outside on on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, primarily outdoors in a hot, humid environment, occasionally on wet and uneven surfaces.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- Ability to use math skills in performing duties.
- Ability or willingness to learn to utilize laboratory equipment and work in a sterile environment.
- Ability to learn and use various computer systems (for example: Excel, Google docs, Hoboware).
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines.
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines including wearing a full-face respirator for limited periods of time.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience.
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents.
- PTO available.
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan, sharing in ownership of the company.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.