Blue Ocean Barns High School Internship
Operations – Internships /
Part Time /
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawaii and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
About the Role
Blue Ocean Barns is excited to offer three month paid in-person internships to local high-school students. Interns at Blue Ocean Barns play an important role in the operation of our aquaculture farm, where we grow a special type of algae that fights climate change. Interns will learn from our experienced aquaculture technicians and gain valuable hands-on experience in a fast-growing and cutting-edge aquaculture facility, all while providing real contributions to the success of our algae-growing operation. Our interns have numerous responsibilities, with a primary focus on algae operations, working towards our goal to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Responsibilities may include:
- Working with team members to harvest algae from our growing vessels
- Working with team members to process harvested algae, including drying and packaging for shipmentWorking with team members to conduct, monitor, and learn from experiments aimed at optimizing the growth of our special algae
- Sanitation of equipment
- Assisting supervisors and managers with administrative tasks such as data entry, record keeping, etc.
- Performing other duties as needed by supervisor
- Ability to stand for extended periods, both inside an air conditioned indoor lab with concrete floors and outside on uneven surfaces
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers
- Ability to use math skills in performing dutiesAbility or willingness to learn to utilize processing equipment and work in a sterile environment
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach, following all safety guidelines
- Eagerness to learn and to contribute as a valued team member
$15 - $15 an hour
Our internship program is open to high school students who are able to work approximately 8 hours or more per week during our normal business hours (7 am to 3 pm, seven days a week). Weekend opportunities are available. Interns will need to obtain their own transportation to our growing facility location at NELHA in Kailua-Kona (73-753 Makako Bay Drive). Our internships are paid at a rate of $15 per hour.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.