Kailua-Kona, HI /
Operations – Continuous Operations Improvement /
Full Time, Salaried
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
About the Role
BOB has successfully transitioned the cultivation of Asparagopsis taxiformis (a red macroalgae)from the laboratory to a 0.25 acre outdoor production facility located at the Company’s headquarters in Kailua-Kona, HI (NELHA). The Company is expecting to further expand outdoor cultivation to a 4 acre property. In anticipation of this rapid scale up, the Company is in need of a health and safety specialist to support the ongoing design and construction of the site buildout.
This person will play a key role on the company’s Farm Operations Team, working to ensure that other employees at the company can complete their work safely. The Safety Coordinator will analyze, identify, and measure workplace hazards or stresses that can cause sickness, impaired health, or significant discomfort in workers through chemical, physical, ergonomic, or biological exposures. They will set safety standards for the workplace based on legal requirements and train employees to help them understand these rules. This role will also monitor working conditions and resolve any safety issues that may arise.
- Create and implement safety plans; ensuring that they are being followed daily.
- Conduct weekly safety talks.
- Conduct safety observation reports on a regular basis, including specific safety walks/inspections of new systems.
- Educate team members on safety standards and expectations as well as safe machinery operation across production, processing, and construction in lab and outdoor environments.
- Provide recommendations for improving safety in the workplace, working with company leadership to implement recommendations.
- Work with 3rd party HR partner to investigate accidents that occur onsite and identify possible causes of the accident.
- Maintain documentation of the company's safety procedures, accidents and related events.
- Coordinate safety training events (AED/CPR/First Aid, fire extinguisher, etc) and conduct respirator fit tests for new employees.
- Coordinate implementation of, and adherence to health and safety policies and practices with liaisons at the company’s facilities in San Diego.
- Act as safety liaison and on-site leader for emergency action plans and associated events like fire, earthquake, tsunami, and volcanic eruption.
- Submit purchasing requests, maintain inventory and control distribution of PPE.
- Oversight of chemical storage (inventory/training).
- Assist in cleaning, maintenance, inspection, and inventory of safety equipment.
- Support other activities as directed by the supervisor.
Experience & Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in occupational health and safety, industrial hygiene, or a related field is preferred.
- Registration as a Certified Safety Professional or similar form of licensure as a safety officer (e.g., OSHA 30).
- Strong project leadership experience; excellent communication skills and the ability to interact well with other departments in a team environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suite products.
- Understanding of federal, state and city safety requirements, including OSHA.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at the same time while meeting deadlines.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.