Facilities Maintenance, Inventory & Local Procurement Associate
Kailua-Kona, HI /
Operations – Maintenance /
Full Time, Hourly
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
About the Role
The Blue Ocean Barns Farm Operations team is building out its outdoor algae farm, and we are seeking an experienced Facilities Maintenance, Inventory & Local Procurement Associate. This role will perform a variety of tasks relating to materials procurement and assisting with site maintenance at our aquaculture facility in Kailua-Kona, HI.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist in executing preventative maintenance plan for major equipment including commercial freeze dryer, walk-in freezer, blowers, and pumps
- Maintain facility and grounds for changing needs of the operation, including setting up workspaces with the equipment and storage, removing weeds, maintaining site organization, and creating a pest control program
- Operation and maintenance of algae production systems, including air and water distribution, water filtration, lighting, nutrient dosing, CO2, and monitoring systems, working with Design & Construction Team as needed.
- Maintain facility and grounds for changing needs of the operation, including setting up workspaces with equipment and storage, removing weeds, maintaining site organization, and maintaining pest control program
- Assist in maintenance of algae production systems, including air and water distribution, water filtration, lighting, nutrient dosing, CO2, and monitoring systems, proactively working with Construction Team to learn system updates as they are installed
- Manage other tasks as directed by the maintenance supervisor.
- Organize and execute purchasing orders from Farm Operations Team, ensuring purchases go through defined approvals with budget owners
- Procurement and pickup of construction and other facilities materials using the non CDL company vehicle.
- Driving non-CDL company truck to make supply runs to local suppliers
- Organizing and accounting for supply inventory in HI, ensuring the Team does not run out of critical supplies.
- Facilitate on-site delivery of large supplies and equipment, ensuring documentation, inspection, and proper handoff of major deliveries.
Experience and Abilities
- 1+ years hands-on working experience as a handyman, carpenter, plumber, facilities maintenance, or electrician
- Ability to occasionally lift over 50 lbs
- Ability to pass respirator safety training and on occasion work with a full respirator.
- Excellent driving record
- Power tool use and safety
- Basic construction practices and techniques in wood, plastic, and fiberglass
- Willingness to learn and abide by biosecurity best-practices and protocols
- Experience working with ERP systems like NetSuite desired but not required
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors for the majority of the workday.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan, sharing in ownership of the company
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.