San Diego, CA
Finance & Accounting – Accounting /
Full Time, Salaried /
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawaii and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
The team at BOB has successfully marshaled the company through early stages of development and have positioned operations for rapid growth. We seek team members who share the values of the company and who are energized by the challenge of creating a carbon-neutral livestock industry for the next generation.
Critical to our success is a Controller who is skilled in the art and practice of Accounting, Reporting, and Controls within rapidly growing enterprises. We do expect this individual to take on expansive and evolving responsibilities as the company continues to grow and scale.
- Maximize return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Own the month-end close process and lead all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, and preparation of balance sheet, income statement, and cash flow statements.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements for the Executive Team, Investors and Board of Directors.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting audits and providing information to external auditors.
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Manage the billing and collection of customers’ Accounts Receivable.
- Manage the process of collection, verification, and payment of Vendor Invoices and the related Accounts Payable liability.
- Provide status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, anticipating future legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, filing financial reports, and advising management on needed actions.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns and manage tax compliance
- Hire and manage auditors and manage the preparation of all external audits
- Manage the company’s insurance portfolio and corresponding insurance audits
- Ensure operation of equipment by establishing preventive maintenance requirements and service contracts, maintaining equipment and inventories, and evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Complete operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintain Accounting staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Protect operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
Skills and Abilities
- Managing business and accounting processes
- Implementing and operating financial software
- Working knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley processes and standards
- Auditing, accounting, and corporate finance experience
- Tracking actual vs. budget expenses
- Financial and analytical skills
- Performance management
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- CPA required
- Extensive Sarbanes Oxley experience
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in Accounting & Finance
- Experience in working with and consolidating multiple legal entities
- Experience with financial reporting requirements: US GAAP & IFRS
$110,000 - $130,000 a year
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan, sharing in ownership of the company
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.