Safety & Compliance Technician (Document Control)
Operations – Safety & Compliance /
Full Time, Hourly
About Blue Ocean Barns
Blue Ocean Barns, Inc. (BOB) is a Delaware Public Benefit Corporation on a mission to solve the climate impact of cattle by working with farmers and food companies to commercialize and rapidly scale the production and use of our proprietary, algae-based livestock feed ingredient. Originally launched in the heart of Silicon Valley, the company has since established operations on the Big Island of Hawai'i and San Diego. We are a well-resourced, professionally managed, and rapidly growing company looking for diverse and exceptionally talented people who are motivated to make a meaningful impact on climate change.
BOB has successfully transitioned the cultivation of the tetrasporophyte phase of Asparagopsis taxiformis (a red macroalgae) from the laboratory to a 4 acre outdoor production facility located at the Company’s headquarters in Kailua-Kona, HI (NELHA). The Company is currently expanding outdoor cultivation to our first international site located in Baja, Mexico. In anticipation of this rapid scale-up, the Company is expanding our Safety and Compliance (S&C) team, which will be responsible for maintaining the safety of all Blue Ocean Barns team members and ensuring our scientific and manufacturing processes are compliant with applicable regulatory requirements.
The S&C Technician, Document Control will play a key role on the Company’s Safety and Compliance Team, which is physically located in Kailua-Kona, HI. This role reports to the S&C Manager. The S&C Technician, Document Control mainly supports the S&C department by owning the creation, development, and distribution of documentation necessary for the production process.
- Support the selection and implementation of an enterprise-wide document control system. Once the system is implemented, this role is responsible for system maintenance.
- Coordinate the issuance, revision, review and approval of SOPs and other documents.
- Ensure that any new documents or changes to existing documents are appropriate, justified, accurate, complete, meet Good Documentation Practices, and are approved by the required functional areas.
- Oversee the regular review of documents by Document Owners for completeness, adherence to company guidelines for formatting, and authorization for approvals.
- Support employee training initiatives pertaining to documentation and compliance.
- Apply company policies and procedures to answer questions and resolve a variety of issues. This includes interacting with supervisors and peers to provide feedback on work and gain cooperation in adhering to established policies.
- Ensure company compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements, especially 21 CFR 507.
- Ensure adherence to cGMPs, HACCP, SOPs, and the Food Safety Plan for processing activities.
- Partner with food safety consultants to provide data and implement action plans based on their assessments.
- Assist with internal and external audits.
- Partner with S&C Manager and S&C Technician (Safety) to support their work when needed. This may include:
- Maintain a safe working environment in compliance with Blue Ocean Barn policies, local/state/federal laws, and OSHA standards.
- Educate current team members on safety standards and expectations as well as safe machinery operation across production, processing, and construction in lab and outdoor environments.
- Ensure completion of behavioral based safety observations and communication. Provide recommendations for improving safety in the workplace, including emergency preparedness, accident prevention, general safety, and risk management.
- Work with 3rd party HR partner (ProService) and People Operations to investigate accidents that occur onsite and identify possible causes of the accident. Assist company and employees as needed during incidents.
- Support continuous improvement initiatives at the company and team level.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience & Abilities
- Quality professional with a minimum of two years of hands-on experience with document control management, preferably in a life science industry.
- Working knowledge of 21 CFR 507.
- Preferred: Maintaining certification as a FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)
- Good technical writing skills and excellent attention to detail. Experience writing SOPs preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Self motivated and able to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Initiative to lead continuous improvement efforts pertaining to Safety & Compliance.
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week; including occasional weekends, holidays and/or on call. Regular attendance and punctuality is essential to carrying out the duties of this position.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, both inside an air conditioned indoor lab with concrete floors and outside on on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to stand for extended periods, primarily outdoors in a hot, humid environment, occasionally on wet and uneven surfaces.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform fine manipulations with hands and fingers.
- Ability to use math skills in performing duties.
- Ability or willingness to learn to utilize laboratory equipment and work in a sterile environment.
- Ability to learn and use various computer systems (for example: Excel, Google docs, Hoboware).
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines.
- Ability to work with and around chemicals such as bleach and acid, following all safety guidelines including wearing a full-face respirator for limited periods of time.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation dependent on level of experience.
- Full health, vision, and dental coverage, covering 100% of insurance premium for employee and 50% for dependents.
- PTO available.
- Opportunity to participate in employee stock option plan, sharing in ownership of the company.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.