Oakland, CA /
Full Time - Hybrid or Remote
The cement/concrete industry is a $1T market opportunity responsible for 5.5% of GHG or approximately 7.5% of global CO2 emissions. This is the same amount of emissions released by the cars we drive daily. Increased concentrations of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere not only pose a threat to all living things on earth, but especially to disadvantaged communities. At Brimstone, we’ve taken the initiative to stop and revert the effects of climate change through the production of carbon-neutral Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials, regardless of the energy source.
Our mission is to eliminate industrial greenhouse gas emissions by developing technologies to help industries transition faster to net-zero.
Brimstone was founded in 2019 at Caltech and since then moved to the Bay Area thanks to Cyclotron Road and other federal and private grants. We are lucky to be supported by wonderful investors and advisors. Over the past couple of years, we have worked to build an equitable company that we are proud of with very special individuals dedicated to this cause which gives us an immense amount of joy to work with every day. Our culture is focused on hard work, equity, and gratitude.
You Should Join Us If You:
Are passionate and motivated about our mission and fighting climate change
Have a great sense of curiosity and a drive to solve problems
Are a team player and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Working as part of our USA geology team, the candidate will perform geological fieldwork and related desktop/follow-up activities. We are seeking a candidate that is motivated, can travel and work independently and enjoys the outdoors. The candidate will conduct geological mapping and sampling work that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform geological field work / analysis including mapping and sampling, about 3 weeks per month
- Prepare field reports, internal / external correspondence, and technical reports.
- Review and interpret analytical laboratory results.
- Perform drill hole logging and oversee drilling operations.
- Support creation of geological models in Leapfrog Geo, or equivalent software, to be used for resource estimation.
- Compliance with all company policies and procedures including, but not limited to safety, environmental, and confidentiality.
- Plan and implement sampling programs with appropriate sampling tools and protocols to meet QA/QC requirements for rock sampling, including surface and subsurface rock.
- Integrate and interpret geologic mapping, geophysical, geochemical, and drilling data
- Prepare reports regarding individual targets, present results, and recommendations
- Assist in preparing budget requests for exploration as needed
- Assist with maintaining accurate exploration database in a timely and efficient manner
- Must be able to work in a safe manner and adhere to safety standards.
- Assist with regulatory permitting.
- A bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) in Geology, Earth Science, or Geochemistry
- Experience in field data mapping and sampling, data review, and preparation of reports
- 3+ years of fieldwork experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Candidates must have a good driving record and a valid Driver's License.
- Able to work with ArcGIS, creating MXD, shapefiles, etc.
- A fundamental understanding of location data, GIS and land survey techniques.
- Fieldwork experience on igneous rocks is desirable.
- Experience with diamond drilling and/or RC drilling is desired
- Must be a US citizen, green card holder, or permanent resident / authorized to work in the US
This position is approximately 75% fieldwork and 25% office work. Travel (regional/overnight) may account for up to 30% of work. The candidate will need to be capable of working in non ideal weather conditions, and that the work will be physically and mechanically demanding (must be able to lift 50 pounds). Effective and concise written and verbal communication skills are critical, as well as the ability to navigate in remote areas and use a GPS, map, and compass to log points or stake features in the field.
The candidate must have an appreciation for the importance of adhering to a safety culture that believes that all accidents are preventable. Additionally, the candidate will be expected to follow written technical procedures and document field activities commensurate with individual project expectations.
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary
Equity in the company
Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance is 100% covered for employees and dependents
Therapy and Counseling costs are 100% covered
A computer of your choice
Up to $10,000 of moving expenses
30 days of paid vacation + all federal holidays (9 days) + all days between Christmas and New Year
Commuter benefits and public transportation expenses are 100% covered
A fun, diverse, and talented team focus on making the biggest impact possible on climate change
Our Commitment to Diversity
Brimstone is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are seeking to build a unique team of individuals and create an environment where all backgrounds and experiences are valued. We credit our success to the different perspectives each team member presents and would never discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or Veteran status.