Senior/Principal Process Chemical Engineer- Acid Recovery, Emissions Controls
Oakland, CA /
Full Time - Hybrid or Remote
The cement/concrete industry is a $1T market opportunity responsible for 5.5% of GHG or approximately 7.5% of global CO2 emissions. This is the same amount of emissions released by the cars we drive daily. Increased concentrations of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere not only pose a threat to all living things on earth, but especially to disadvantaged communities. At Brimstone, we’ve taken the initiative to stop and revert the effects of climate change through the production of carbon-neutral Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials, regardless of the energy source.
Our mission is to eliminate industrial greenhouse gas emissions by developing technologies to help industries transition faster to net-zero.
Brimstone was founded in 2019 at Caltech and since then moved to the Bay Area thanks to Cyclotron Road and other federal and private grants. We are lucky to be supported by wonderful investors and advisors. Over the past couple of years, we have worked to build an equitable company that we are proud of with very special individuals dedicated to this cause which gives us an immense amount of joy to work with every day. Our culture is focused on hard work, equity, and gratitude.
You Should Join Us If You:
Are passionate and motivated about our mission and fighting climate change
Have a great sense of curiosity and a drive to solve problems
Are a team player and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Execute solid and liquid separations (filtration, settling, clarification, product washing, drying)
- Reactor design for heterogeneous reaction systems, including solid-liquid, gas-solid, and multicomponent solid-liquid
- Assist with process development and engineering design for processing projects, including formulating process flow diagrams and piping & instrumentation diagrams
- Perform technical communications such as verbal presentations, Powerpoint slideshows, technical write-ups, and reports
- Assess materials of construction, including for corrosive and hazardous liquids, gasses, and solids and for high-temperature (>1000°C) systems
- Evaluate and administer contracts with vendors for the provision of services and equipment
- 5+ years of experience
- Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD degree in Chemical Engineering
- Skilled with process simulation software such as Aspen Plus, Hysys, Chemcad, or similar
- Experience with HCl acid recovery or industrial processes that deals with HCl in the gas phase, emissions controls (NOx, SOx, HCl, Cl2, etc.), and mechanical vapor recompression.
- Experience with Emission Control Equipment such as Baghouse, thermal oxidation, acid gas scrubbing, activated carbon injection, NOx control
- Familiarity bridging process simulation with actual equipment, process, and plant design
- Familiar with techno-economic and lifecycle analyses
- Deep understanding of chemical engineering fundamentals: heat transfer, mass transfer, fluid mechanics, chemical kinetics, thermodynamic analysis, mass and energy balance, unit operation design
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary
Equity in the company
Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance is 100% covered for employees and dependents
Therapy and Counseling costs are 100% covered
A computer of your choice
Up to $10,000 of moving expenses
30 days of paid vacation + all federal holidays (9 days) + all days between Christmas and New Year
Commuter benefits and public transportation expenses are 100% covered
A fun, diverse, and talented team focus on making the biggest impact possible on climate change
Our Commitment to Diversity
Brimstone is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are seeking to build a unique team of individuals and create an environment where all backgrounds and experiences are valued. We credit our success to the different perspectives each team member presents and would never discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or Veteran status.