Hydrometallurgical Engineer and/or Chemist
Oakland, CA /
Full Time - On Site
The cement/concrete industry is a $1T market opportunity responsible for 5.5% of GHG or approximately 7.5% of global CO2 emissions. This is the same amount of emissions released by the cars we drive daily. Increased concentrations of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere not only pose a threat to all living things on earth, but especially to disadvantaged communities. At Brimstone, we’ve taken the initiative to stop and revert the effects of climate change through the production of carbon-neutral Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials, regardless of the energy source.
Our mission is to eliminate industrial greenhouse gas emissions by developing technologies to help industries transition faster to net-zero.
Brimstone was founded in 2019 at Caltech and since then moved to the Bay Area thanks to Cyclotron Road and other federal and private grants. We are lucky to be supported by wonderful investors and advisors. Over the past couple of years, we have worked to build an equitable company that we are proud of with very special individuals dedicated to this cause which gives us an immense amount of joy to work with every day. Our culture is focused on hard work, equity, and gratitude.
You Should Join Us If You:
Are passionate and motivated about our mission and fighting climate change
Have a great sense of curiosity and a drive to solve problems
Are a team player and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Plan and perform hydrometallurgical related experiments within defined parameters
- Identify potential safety hazards associated with experiments and implement controls
- Put together standard operating procedures for various tasks
- Collaborate and work with teammates synergistically
- Collaborate with engineering team to plan experimental work and provide necessary data
- Familiarize an master analytical methods and determine best method of analysis various liquid and solid samples
- Present experimental results in repots, presentation and meeting format
- Associate degree or higher in Metallurgical or Materials Engineering, or a closely related engineering field
- Strong research and development skills in
- Comfortability with concepts of reaction thermodynamics, kinetics, mass balances
- Adequate analytical skills, high math knowledge
- Comfortability with various analytical methods such as wet chemistry, and spectroscopy (e.g. XRF, SEM, XRD, ICP)
- Knowledge of material characterization methods such as classification, particle size distribution, crushing, milling, etc.
- Strong communication skills, including written, verbal, and concise presentation of technical concepts
- Strong affinity for teamwork and interpersonal skills. Ability to take initiative for the advancement of the team.
- Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical or Materials Engineering, or a closely related engineering field
- Familiarity with job and process hazard analyses in the context of chemical process safety
- Comfortable with tools such as Google Drive, Slack, and Notion.
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary
Equity in the company
Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance is 100% covered for employees and dependents
Therapy and Counseling costs are 100% covered
A computer of your choice
Up to $10,000 of moving expenses
30 days of paid vacation + all federal holidays (9 days) + all days between Christmas and New Year
Commuter benefits and public transportation expenses are 100% covered
A fun, diverse, and talented team focus on making the biggest impact possible on climate change
Our Commitment to Diversity
Brimstone is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are seeking to build a unique team of individuals and create an environment where all backgrounds and experiences are valued. We credit our success to the different perspectives each team member presents and would never discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or Veteran status.