Director of Business Development
Oakland, CA /
Business Development /
Full Time - Remote
The cement/concrete industry is a $1T market opportunity responsible for 5.5% of GHG or approximately 7.5% of global CO2 emissions. This is the same amount of emissions released by the cars we drive daily. Increased concentrations of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere not only pose a threat to all living things on earth, but especially to disadvantaged communities. At Brimstone, we’ve taken the initiative to stop and revert the effects of climate change through the production of carbon-neutral Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials, regardless of the energy source.
Our mission is to eliminate industrial greenhouse gas emissions by developing technologies to help industries transition faster to net-zero.
Brimstone was founded in 2019 at Caltech and since then moved to the Bay Area thanks to Cyclotron Road and other federal and private grants. We are lucky to be supported by wonderful investors and advisors. Over the past couple of years, we have worked to build an equitable company that we are proud of with very special individuals dedicated to this cause which gives us an immense amount of joy to work with every day. Our culture is focused on hard work, equity, and gratitude.
You Should Join Us If You:
Are passionate and motivated about our mission and fighting climate change
Have a great sense of curiosity and a drive to solve problems
Are a team player and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
The production of Portland cement has been called “difficult to decarbonize” and even the “most difficult problem of them all” with respect to CO2 emissions. But, at Brimstone we understand that this is not just hard because the engineering is hard and the science is hard, it is hard because the business case is hard. Over the last three years, we have demonstrated that the Science and we are able to produce a cement product that is identical in every way to Portland cement, it is Portland cement. Now, the Engineering team is on a mission to prove that this process is engineer-able and lower cost. We’ve done a lot of customer discovery but it is time to define more precisely what our business model will be in the short, medium, and long-term. As the first business hire, you’ll be in charge of developing a plan for that.
- You will do market research and market mapping
- You will talk to industry experts and leaders by either connections or cold calling
- You will negotiate diverse business deals: offtake agreements, licensing agreements, joint ventures, acquisitions, and more.
- You will collaborate with the Policy team on strategy around governments and public opportunities
- You will collaborate with our Geology and Business Development team to find the best location to build new cement plants
- You will learn from the Engineering team about the process while the minimizing your use of their time
- You will maintain and nurture trusting business relationships
- You will not oversell because our brand is trust
- Economics degree and/or Engineering degree and related fields
- 7+ years of Business Development experience
- Ability to think creatively around complex problems
- Start-up experience is a plus
- Experience with the cement industry is a plus
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary
Equity in the company
Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance is 100% covered for employees and dependents
Therapy and Counseling costs are 100% covered
A computer of your choice
Up to $10,000 of moving expenses
30 days of paid vacation + all federal holidays (9 days) + all days between Christmas and New Year
Commuter benefits and public transportation expenses are 100% covered
A fun, diverse, and talented team focus on making the biggest impact possible on climate change
Our Commitment to Diversity
Brimstone is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are seeking to build a unique team of individuals and create an environment where all backgrounds and experiences are valued. We credit our success to the different perspectives each team member presents and would never discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or Veteran status.