Director of Public and Private Sector Policy
Oakland, CA /
Legal & Public Policy /
Full Time - Hybrid or Remote
The cement/concrete industry is a $1T market opportunity responsible for 5.5% of GHG or approximately 7.5% of global CO2 emissions. This is the same amount of emissions released by the cars we drive daily. Increased concentrations of greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere not only pose a threat to all living things on earth, but especially to disadvantaged communities. At Brimstone, we’ve taken the initiative to stop and revert the effects of climate change through the production of carbon-neutral Portland cement and supplementary cementitious materials, regardless of the energy source.
Our mission is to eliminate industrial greenhouse gas emissions by developing technologies to help industries transition faster to net-zero.
Brimstone was founded in 2019 at Caltech and since then moved to the Bay Area thanks to Cyclotron Road and other federal and private grants. We are lucky to be supported by wonderful investors and advisors. Over the past couple of years, we have worked to build an equitable company that we are proud of with very special individuals dedicated to this cause which gives us an immense amount of joy to work with every day. Our culture is focused on hard work, equity, and gratitude.
You Should Join Us If You:
Are passionate and motivated about our mission and fighting climate change
Have a great sense of curiosity and a drive to solve problems
Are a team player and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment
Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
To solve climate change globally, major industrial transitions are required. Historically, these industrial transitions take over 50 years. We need to speed up this timeline to mitigate the worst impacts of climate change, and at Brimstone we see public and private policy as key ways to do this. You will be responsible for reducing a 50 year global decarbonization timeline to a 20 year timeline, no pressure ;)
As our first policy hire, you will work directly with the CEO to develop policy strategy, manage consultants and lobbyists, unlock public money, and make sure that clean cement in general will replace dirty cement globally on a 20 year timeline. You will work with private companies who have climate goals to understand their embodied carbon impact. You will also be responsible for meeting with legislators, heads of business, and the public and will work with the rest of the company to figure out when to bring other company leadership into the conversation. Key to this role is understanding that we are fighting climate change for the well being of people and other living things, so policy that does not prioritize a just climate transition does have no role at Brimstone.
- As the first hire you will have the opportunity to grow and steer the direction of the company
- You will educate the public and policy makers about what Brimstone, this will be necessary across diverse jurisdictions including California, the US, Europe and other emerging economies and/or countries.
- You will draft written materials - story pitches, press releases, messaging guidelines, Q&As, briefs, presentations, speeches etc.
- You will collaborate on policy that will drive the cement industry to be a net negative emitter making policy that enables Brimstone and other technologies to enter global markets faster
- You will develop relationships with international, federal, state, and local governments to achieve policy and legislative goals.
- You will be responsible for unlocking public funding via grant writing and relationship building with all levels of government
- You will support with the permitting process for new plants
- You should have a proven ability to work with and manage lobbyists and consultants
- You will also work with private company on their CO2 reduction goals to help encourage embodied carbon in these goals
- 7+ years of government, government relations and/or policy experience, state, federal, or international is fine, but Federal, CA or NY is preferred.
- Ability to communicate with scientists and about science and willingness to both learn what you do not know and teach others what they do not know.
- Eager to cold call stakeholders
- Ability to work with our business development team to find the best locations for Brimstone to work in first
- Strong written and verbal skills especially with scientific communication
- Have experience building programs from the ground up
- Well organized and able to manage many different projects
- You have a strong passion for helping fight climate change and able to argue the benefit to diverse stakeholders
Salary and Benefits
A highly competitive salary
Equity in the company
Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance is 100% covered for employees and dependents
Therapy and Counseling costs are 100% covered
A computer of your choice
Up to $10,000 of moving expenses
30 days of paid vacation + all federal holidays (9 days) + all days between Christmas and New Year
Commuter benefits and public transportation expenses are 100% covered
A fun, diverse, and talented team focus on making the biggest impact possible on climate change
Our Commitment to Diversity
Brimstone is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We are seeking to build a unique team of individuals and create an environment where all backgrounds and experiences are valued. We credit our success to the different perspectives each team member presents and would never discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability status, or Veteran status.