San Francisco /
Butter is building the payments stack for the modern subscription economy. We're creating an inclusive remote-first culture that enables our employees to contribute from anywhere in the world. Come join our team to help modernize subscription payments!
As the first growth product manager you’ll be responsible for defining our growth strategy and building our entire engine from lead generation to retention. You will work across the organization to identify and prioritize growth opportunities, conduct market research, and execute on experiments to test and optimize for growth. This role is all about identifying opportunities for outsized impact and experimenting rapidly to realize that impact.
The Problem You’ll Be Solving
Butter works with a wide variety of subscription companies to help them optimize their payments infrastructure. As Butter scales, defining growth targets and optimizing for corresponding metrics will be very important for capitalizing on the interest in our product that we are seeing from the market. We have found that being proactive about how we approach our interactions with customers pays dividends and will need to build processes to accomplish this going forward. We want to design a thoughtful and delightful experience for customers while always keeping an eye on growth.
What You Have Done
- You’re experienced. You’ve spent 2-5+ years driving product growth. Bonus points for experience in payments technology, especially as it relates to processing credit instruments.
- You want to understand customers. You’re able to build customer personas. You can take what you know about customer needs and use this information to develop hypotheses on how we can improve our funnel to address those needs.
- You can build narratives based on data. It will be important to have prior experience using something like SQL or Python to perform basic analytics and draw high level conclusions from data.
- You can see yourself as an expert in payments - with the confidence to back it up. You will need to develop a comprehensive understanding of the payments ecosystem. Previous experience in payments is valuable but not a hard requirements. If you’re not an expert, we recommend you watch this video prior to your first call.
Who You Are
- You love to ship. This role is all about identifying high-leveraging areas, designing experiments to test how we can improve in those areas, and iterating based on the results. You should be unafraid to throw things at the wall and see what sticks - even if there’s a high chance of failure. In fact, something we’ll ask of you is to propose an experiment in your first week on the team.
- You’re great at communicating. You have exceptional communication skills in writing, presenting, and storytelling. You’re comfortable centering data in the narrative, as well as communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- You’re a self starter. You have the ability to operate in an ambiguous and dynamic start-up environment.
- You have endless curiosity. Insights and well-designed experiments come from asking great questions. We’ll expect you to demonstrate this during the interview process.
What success looks like in the first 30 days
- Propose and run experiments to test assumptions and gather evidence
- Ask thought provoking questions that challenge our assumptions
- Build out a narrative for at least 1 existing relationship
- Propose a set of customer personas and sales decks to test them against
- Collaborate cross-functionally to get buy-in on your initiatives
- Define what the next 60 days will look like
Modern subscription companies accidentally lose up to 4% of their total customer base each year due to churn caused by legitimate payments failing (passive churn). These payments fail either because they are falsely detected as fraud or because of archaic systems in an aging payment ecosystem.
Butter uses patented machine learning and artificial intelligence to deeply understand the real time state for any given payment and then optimizes for success. Butter offers a free assessment and trial to validate a customer’s found revenue opportunity, integrates with existing payment processors, and charges an ongoing success fee tied to revenue recovered.
Butter typically recovers up to $1M or more of found revenue for our customers and gives 1% back to causes that support our mission of enabling anyone anywhere to have access to the things they deserve and need.
Butter is well funded by leading investors and offers a generous benefits package including unlimited PTO (as long as the work gets done). Our culture is one focused on mutual respect, great communication, and taking risks with consensus. The salary range for this position is $136,000 - $204,000.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Butter Payments is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Butter considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.