Sr. User Researcher
New York, NY /
Caper builds smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. We differ from other emerging cashierless technologies like Amazon Go because we are the scalable solution. Caper’s autonomous checkout technology is plug and play, meaning it requires no in-store renovation, no operational overhaul, no heavy computations or endless image labeling. Any retailer can buy the carts and their entire store is upgraded with cashierless capabilities. Caper costs less than 1% of Amazon Go's infrastructure. We are already live in-stores and our customers love us!
Caper is the fastest-growing company in retail automation technology and is backed by Lux Capital, First Round Capital, Y Combinator along with top executives from Google, Walmart, Instacart, Plated, and Albertsons with over $13M in funding to date. While e-commerce accounts for 8% of total retail spending, Caper is innovating the other 92% of the untapped offline retail potential.
As a part of the Caper team, you’ll be a part of a culture that cares about its people and the future we’re shaping together. At Caper, we may all come from different backgrounds, but we all share one common vision - to fundamentally disrupt the retail industry.
We empower our product teams to solve hard problems - customer problems and business problems - in ways that our customers love, yet work for our business. Our product teams are cross-functional and durable, generally composed of a product manager, a product designer, and several engineers.
We staff our product teams with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement).
The Senior User Researcher will be an integral part of the Caper Product team. As a member of the team our senior user researcher will:
- Contribute meaningfully to the growth of Caper’s business by ensuring a deep shared understanding of our partner’s & Shopper’s lives, attitudes, and behaviors.
- Generate insights to drive empathy-fueled action across Caper’s strategic efforts in areas such as current product improvements, experimental new products, competitive analysis and unlocking operational efficiencies.
- Implement best practices in human-centered design techniques and mixed research methods.
- Design, execute and analyze actionable user research to contribute to strategic goals for Caper, using human-centered design techniques and mixed research methods.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with team members across Caper through all stages of research to ensure a deep shared understanding of our users and drive empathy-fueled action.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Business, Market Research, or Social Sciences (Psychology, Communications, Anthropology, Sociology)
- 3-6+ years of experience in user research inside innovative consumer products, mobile or digital companies
- Empathy, knowledge and a deep desire to improve the lives of everyday people
- Enjoys the benefits and challenges of working at a lean, growing start-up.
- Natural collaborator and influencer with experience working cross-functionally with Product, Design, Engineering, Data Analytics and Marketing/Growth team members..
- Inspires confidence through mastery of human-centered design techniques and mixed research methods: surveys, interviews, focus groups, concept testing, usability testing, etc.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including planning logistics, coordinating activities with various team members and flexibly adapting to changes.
- Simple, trustworthy and clear style of communicating findings.
- Competitive salary with equity
- Attractive Health, Vision & Dental Plans
- Flexible hybrid work model
- Short Term Disability Plan
- Unlimited snacks
- Unlimited PTO