New York, NY /
Caper builds smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. We differ from other emerging cashierless technologies like Amazon Go because we are the scalable solution. Caper’s autonomous checkout technology is plug and play, meaning it requires no in-store renovation, no operational overhaul, no heavy computations or endless image labeling. Any retailer can buy the carts and their entire store is upgraded with cashierless capabilities. Caper costs less than 1% of Amazon Go's infrastructure. We are already live in-stores and our customers love us!
Caper is the fastest-growing company in retail automation technology and is backed by Lux Capital, First Round Capital, Y Combinator along with top executives from Google, Walmart, Instacart, Plated, and Albertsons with over $13M in funding to date. While e-commerce accounts for 8% of total retail spending, Caper is innovating the other 92% of the untapped offline retail potential.
As a part of the Caper team, you’ll be a part of a culture that cares about its people and the future we’re shaping together. At Caper, we may all come from different backgrounds, but we all share one common vision - to fundamentally disrupt the retail industry.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Develop product requirements and perform electronic hardware design based upon customer specifications and industry regulations
- Create required engineering documentation to support new product development. This includes schematics, specifications, drawings, bills of materials, FMEA, test plans and reports, and other related documentation
- Build and test prototypes and integrated systems as part of the development process
- Participate in design reviews
- Perform verification and validation on new and existing designs.
- Understanding of various regulatory requirements (FCC, UL, CE, etc)
- Understand Design For Manufacturing (DFM) and Assembly concepts
- Assist in the component evaluation, documentation, review of component drawings, and obsolescence solutions.
- Support customer, field, and Quality Assurance
Job Requirements (Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:)
- Must have lab bench and system-level integration/ debug/ troubleshooting experience. Must have hands-on experience working with various test equipment (oscilloscope, power supply, multimeter, etc).
- Must have experience in schematic capturing tools (ORCAD, PADS, Altium Designer desirable).
- Have experience working with customers at various stages of product development starting with initial concept reviews to post-launch product support.
- Understanding of electrical safety requirements and regulations. ex
- Excellent technical documentation skills with a keen focus on detail.
- Team player with good communication and organizational skills.
- Willingness to travel as necessary (< 10%).
Minimum Education and Experience Required:
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in electronic hardware development and manufacturing
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or the equivalent required.
- Bilinguals (English & Chinese)
- Long-distance or air travel as needed
- Ability to lift up to 65 pounds
- Tolerate a non-temperature controlled environment