Sr. Manager of Product Design
New York, NY /
Caper builds smart shopping carts powered by deep learning and computer vision to enable a seamless grab-and-go retail experience. We differ from other emerging cashierless technologies like Amazon Go because we are the scalable solution. Caper’s autonomous checkout technology is plug and play, meaning it requires no in-store renovation, no operational overhaul, no heavy computations or endless image labeling. Any retailer can buy the carts and their entire store is upgraded with cashierless capabilities. Caper costs less than 1% of Amazon Go's infrastructure. We are already live in-stores and our customers love us!
Caper is the fastest-growing company in retail automation technology and is backed by Lux Capital, First Round Capital, Y Combinator along with top executives from Google, Walmart, Instacart, Plated, and Albertsons with over $13M in funding to date. While e-commerce accounts for 8% of total retail spending, Caper is innovating the other 92% of the untapped offline retail potential.
As a part of the Caper team, you’ll be a part of a culture that cares about its people and the future we’re shaping together. At Caper, we may all come from different backgrounds, but we all share one common vision - to fundamentally disrupt the retail industry.
We empower our product teams to solve hard problems - customer problems and business problems - in ways that our customers love, yet work for our business. Our product teams are cross-functional and durable, generally composed of a product manager, a product designer, and several engineers.
We staff our product teams with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement). The design team spans the disciplines of product design, industrial design, marketing design, and brand design.
We consider each touchpoint with our shoppers & partners -- whether it’s the onboarding flow of our carts, a promotional sign, or an email -- to be part of the same customer journey. As such, our design organization owns that complete customer experience. We’re passionate about building ONE design organization to provide ONE comprehensive customer experience. And we need your help to do this!
What will I be doing?
You will be leading a team of designers, focused on ensuring we have the right structure, tools and principles in place to deliver world-class products with world-class customer experiences. You will be a key leader within the company that is responsible for the core design sensibilities of Caper, and an active participant in identifying initiatives tied to our company objectives. You will work with your team to derive and act on the insights gathered from a multitude of sources: shoppers, partners, session data, industry trends, etc.
Specifically you will:
- Build a rigorous, strong design culture and design process
- Infuse the Caper spirit, brand, and visual design language into design, product, operations and sales teams.
- Collaborate with Product Teams to activate a Rapid Experimentation framework, to iterate on our overall product offering.
- Develop our team of designers, helping them to build their design, presentation, and feedback skills.
- Provide creative direction and feedback based on process, craft, communication, and stakeholder management.
- Define bold, long-term visions for our products and services, and motivate both teams and individual designers to achieve them.
- Create an environment where creativity flourishes.
- Help to elevate the voice of design in the company.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of Design experience, with 3+ years of growing, managing and inspiring a team to greatness.
- You have built teams, enjoy managing others, and know what talent you need to scale an in-house design organization supporting product, operations, sales, and engineering.
- You take great pleasure in leading designers of all backgrounds to work together to execute on a shared product vision.
- You enjoy investing time and energy into guiding your team toward new goals that will help them grow in their careers and bring new skills to the organization.
- You’re a student of great design. You’ve been experimenting for over a decade with new ways of creating engaging customer experiences while leveraging the best elements of traditional best practices.
- You are both a strategic and visual designer. Your bar for quality is extremely high and you hold those around you to that standard.
- You enjoy the disciplines of brand, product, and communications design and you’re cognizant of how they support one another.
- You have experience developing a strong consumer brand and building that out across mobile, web, marketing, and physical products.
- You are an expert in the technical aspects of design and the different mediums that involve designers including digital products, physical products, print collateral, and marketing campaigns.
- While you are a passionate creative at heart, you have an analytical and logical approach to design, ensuring that time and resources are being used thoughtfully.
- Experience with computer vision, software + hardware , IoT products a plus
- Competitive salary with equity
- Attractive Health, Vision & Dental Plans
- Flexible hybrid work model
- Short Term Disability Plan
- Unlimited snacks
- Unlimited PTO