Carbon Accounting Specialist
Carbon Direct is decarbonizing the global economy.
What is Carbon Direct?
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and innovators with a shared goal of reducing atmospheric CO2 by scaling carbon management.
What do we do?
We operate two distinct businesses:
- Advisory & Software: We work with Fortune 500 corporate clients like Microsoft, Shopify, and Alaska Airlines to develop long-term carbon management plans. We’re also building a platform to facilitate the procurement, purchasing, and monitoring of carbon removals, helping make net zero emissions a reality for all businesses.
- Investments: We scale the supply of quality removals by investing in high-potential technologies vetted by science-backed sourcing and diligence.
The science is clear: we need to pair CO2 emission reductions with removals to limit global temperatures to 1.5C, and the time to act is now. Our 40+ leading scientists have expertise in all areas of carbon management, from carbon footprinting to carbon removal procurement, and their insight guides our work.
Our team is data-centric, diverse, and purpose-driven. Join us on one of the greatest journeys of our lifetimes: the transition to net-zero.
As an essential member of our advisory team, you will help corporate clients understand their environmental footprints with rigorous carbon accounting, and you’ll tie the outcomes to meaningful carbon management strategies. You’ll develop tools and processes to harness data, identify trends, and advise on opportunities to enhance our carbon management platform (in close partnership with our technology team). You should be able to work autonomously on client engagement when required, but will frequently work alongside industry scientists, data scientists, and product teams on collaborative projects. You will also be responsible for managing our existing carbon accounting partnerships.
- Ensure Carbon Direct's accounting methodologies meet the highest standards of scientific and technical integrity
- Work across our science and technology teams to build frameworks, processes and tools for managing GHG data collection and analysis
- Advise clients on best practices and approaches to carbon accounting that drive meaningful carbon management actions
- Manage client relationships alongside our sales and carbon strategy teams
- Manage Carbon Direct’s existing accounting partnershipsEnsure methodology alignment with the GHG protocol, SBTi, LCFS, & EU-ETS, and other standards such as ISO 14040 and 14044.
- Build internal capacity in carbon accounting and support deployment of new products in partnership with our product and technology teams
- Generate insight and thought leadership from GHG data, client engagements, and global trends
- 3-7 years experience in carbon accounting, life cycle assessment, and/or climate change mitigation
- In depth knowledge of greenhouse gas accounting principles and application in the private sector, including Scope 3 categories
- Experience with supply chain decarbonization strategies and/or supplier capacity building programs
- Good interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Fluency in English and is a must, additional languages will be a plus
- Ability to work independently in a fast-growing international environment
- Passion for addressing climate change is critical.
- Experience building new products and platforms is a strong plus.
- Experience working in the climate technology space is a strong plus.
Carbon Direct has a flexible, remote-friendly culture and we support our employees with their remote work set-up needs.
We also offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, voluntary 401k contributions, paid parental leave, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.