Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Seattle, Washington /
Carbon Direct is decarbonizing the global economy.
What is Carbon Direct?
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and innovators with a shared goal of reducing atmospheric CO2 by scaling carbon management.
What do we do?
We operate two distinct businesses:
- Advisory & Software: We work with Fortune 500 corporate clients like Microsoft, Shopify, and Alaska Airlines to develop long-term carbon management plans. We’re also building a platform to facilitate the procurement, purchasing, and monitoring of carbon removals, helping make net zero emissions a reality for all businesses.
- Investments: We scale the supply of quality removals by investing in high-potential technologies vetted by science-backed sourcing and diligence.
The science is clear: we need to pair CO2 emission reductions with removals to limit global temperatures to 1.5C, and the time to act is now. Our 40+ leading scientists have expertise in all areas of carbon management, from carbon footprinting to carbon removal procurement, and their insight guides our work.
Our team is data-centric, diverse, and purpose-driven. Join us on one of the greatest journeys of our lifetimes: the transition to net-zero.
You will be an essential member of our engineering team. You will help the team build new products and bring innovative carbon management solutions to market. You will put the user first, prioritize business impact, and pursue engineering excellence. You will actively participate in discussions about strategy, architecture, and roadmapping fusing your engineering experience and commercial awareness. You will have ownership of all phases of the software development lifecycle (SDLC) including design, development, documentation, testing, and operations. You should be able to work autonomously on engineering tasks when required.
- Build great software
- You are a full-stack software engineer with experience designing, implementing, and operating distributed services
- You are competent, applying modern programming practices and techniques to build products and services.
- You apply your experience to build modular front ends, reusable componentry, and improve performance (e.g., RTT, TTL, and FMP).
- Your engineering maturity helps you design stable, contractual APIs using REST, GraphQL, Protobuf, or similar approaches.
- You design performant data storage solutions, leveraging SQL and NoSQL databases while avoiding common antipatterns.
- Support product development
- You take pragmatic decisions, balancing between business outcomes, product wins, design goals, and engineering excellence.
- You primarily contribute to the team as a software engineer. But, you are not shy about working outside of your discipline to help the team succeed.
- You ensure your team stays focused on shared goals and values. When disagreements arise, you compromise and commit when consensus can’t be reached.
- Help us shape a culture of engineering excellence
- You document your software system designs, specifying tradeoffs, performance, and constraints.
- You apply reliability engineering practices to ensure the systems you own are well-monitored, performing, and scaling as intended.
- You triage, mitigate, and resolve root causes when your systems misbehave. You follow-up to maximize learning and minimize risks.
- You ensure your software behaves as expected, working with others to improve test coverage, code quality, and conduct code reviews.
- You are a team player
- You prefer shared successes over personal wins. You proactively share knowledge to help your colleagues grow and learn.
- You identify engineering challenges, coordinate solutions, and empower others to contribute.
- You are capable of effectively collaborating with colleagues from diverse professional backgrounds (e.g., science, tech, product, marketing, ...)
- You have a point of view but remain open-minded. You welcome diverse perspectives, and encourage others to generate and explore new ideas.
- You learn forever and nurture those around you. You role-model by inviting and freely giving well-intentioned, constructive feedback.
- 3+ years of experience with Application Development and/or Platform Engineering
- You are an accomplished programmer, skilled on both the client and the server
- You have experience building domain services and APIs
- You have experience building web applications with modern UI frameworks
- You have experience working with cloud infrastructure providers and CI/CD
- You have a track record of identifying and acquiring new and relevant skills
- You have a passion for writing and maintaining excellent code
- You have a laser focus on shipping and driving business outcomes
- You are an excellent communicator and cross-functional team builder.
- You build strong relationships while working with a fully-remote, global team.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, outcome-oriented professional environment.
- You have a passion for addressing climate change.
- Experience building new products and platforms is a strong plus.
- Experience working in the climate technology space is a strong plus.
Carbon Direct has a flexible, remote-friendly culture and we support our employees with their remote work set-up needs.
We also offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, voluntary 401k contributions, paid parental leave, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.