Seattle,WA or hybrid /
Carbon Direct is decarbonizing the global economy.
What is Carbon Direct?
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and innovators with a shared goal of reducing atmospheric CO2 by scaling carbon management.
What do we do?
We operate two distinct businesses:
- Advisory & Software: We work with Fortune 500 corporate clients like Microsoft, Shopify, and Alaska Airlines to develop long-term carbon management plans. We’re also building a platform to facilitate the procurement, purchasing, and monitoring of carbon removals, helping make net zero emissions a reality for all businesses.
- Investments: We scale the supply of quality removals by investing in high-potential technologies vetted by science-backed sourcing and diligence.
The science is clear: we need to pair CO2 emission reductions with removals to limit global temperatures to 1.5C, and the time to act is now. Our 40+ leading scientists have expertise in all areas of carbon management, from carbon footprinting to carbon removal procurement, and their insight guides our work.
Our team is data-centric, diverse, and purpose-driven. Join us on one of the greatest journeys of our lifetimes: the transition to net-zero.
We are looking for a flexible, dynamic Accounting Manager to manage and develop finance & accounting operations and processes across Carbon Direct Inc. A successful candidate combines solid analytical skills with a deep knowledge of accounting principles to prepare and analyze financial reports and forecasts. They are detail-oriented, able to create account processes across our fast-growing company, and able to collaborate effectively with team members across departments. Although a background in climate work is a plus but not a prerequisite, a passion for solving climate problems is required.
- Responsible for all accounting-related activities including financial statement preparation, tax filings, and the development and documentation of policies and procedures related to these such activities
- Managing accounts receivables and accounts payables and maintaining records of vendor relations and statuses
- Computing and processing accruals and receivables
- Monthly reconciliation of bank and credit card accounts
- Performing and managing the monthly and quarterly close processes
- Preparing financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information and trends for leadership team
- Complying with federal, state, and local legal requirements by maintaining compliance documentation and maintaining historical records by filing documents electronically
- Managing payroll accounting and intercompany transactions
- Working with our business operations team to forecast income and expenses
- Anticipating and evaluating business needs to make sure that financial organization and related systems appropriately support the company’s growth
- Assisting with special projects as needed
- Demonstrated experience with accounting for a fast growing, entrepreneurial organization.
- Knowledge of GAAP, accounting theory, principles, and practices, including related to software capitalization, taxes and revenue recognition;
- Able to set up a cash management process, set processes around controls, approvals and overall accounting workflows
- Proven knowledge of computer information systems to present financial information
- Able to setup and refine accounting infrastructure for a new and growing organization, including expense reimbursement, invoice creation and ERP processes; experience with Quickbooks and Expensify preferred
- Able to work effectively with auditors and close out annual audits effectively and efficiently
- Track record of working in a fast-paced environment, managing ambiguity and complex situations, and ability to proactively and independently execute, follow-through, and bring deliverables, projects and/or special initiatives
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively with teams located in different time zones and jurisdictions
- Proven analytical abilities, well-developed communication and organizational skills, and keen attention to detail are vital.
- Bachelor’s degree required; concentration in accounting or finance preferred
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or similar certification is required.
Carbon Direct has a flexible, remote-friendly culture and we support our employees with their remote work set-up needs.
We also offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, voluntary 401k contributions, paid parental leave, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.