London, United Kingdom /
Carbon Direct is decarbonizing the global economy.
What is Carbon Direct?
We are a team of scientists, engineers, and innovators with a shared goal of reducing atmospheric CO2 by scaling carbon management.
What do we do?
We operate two distinct businesses:
- Advisory & Software: We work with Fortune 500 corporate clients like Microsoft, Shopify, and Alaska Airlines to develop long-term carbon management plans. We’re also building a platform to facilitate the procurement, purchasing, and monitoring of carbon removals, helping make net zero emissions a reality for all businesses.
- Investments: We scale the supply of quality removals by investing in high-potential technologies vetted by science-backed sourcing and diligence.
The science is clear: we need to pair CO2 emission reductions with removals to limit global temperatures to 1.5C, and the time to act is now. Our 40+ leading scientists have expertise in all areas of carbon management, from carbon footprinting to carbon removal procurement, and their insight guides our work.
Our team is data-centric, diverse, and purpose-driven. Join us on one of the greatest journeys of our lifetimes: the transition to net-zero.
We are looking for a Research Associate to join our Science team and support both the day-to-day management and content development for complex consulting engagements for clients. Our work environment is collaborative, fast paced, and may require travel. We are a fluid, rapidly-growing organisation and we value flexibility, curiosity, and ability to work effectively in teams and independently. A successful candidate is a self-starter, someone who stays informed about regulatory, policy, and technological developments in sustainability, and excited to work hard towards the implementation of climate change solutions.
You are passionate about addressing climate change and are a self-starter who finds joy and fulfilment from a job well done. You have demonstrated work experience in carbon management solutions. You proactively communicate, deliver your work on time, support your teammates, and are an engaged team member comfortable with a fluid working environment. You enjoy a positive, fun, collegial, inclusive, and healthy work environment and are excited to build a team culture. You are intellectually curious and pay attention to detail. You can work effectively in teams as well as independently. You are coachable and are excited to continue to grow your knowledge base and skillset. To this end, you keep informed about regulatory, policy, and technological developments in sustainability topics. You are mission-driven and excited to work hard towards the implementation of climate change solutions.
- Support project design, and execution of deliverables in collaboration with other team members.
- Undertake research, modeling, expert interviews, and/or data analyses, both independently and in partnership with colleagues.
- Participate in collaborative problem solving with project teams.
- Liaise and communicate with clients and science team members to achieve client and team goals.
- Develop and communicate recommendations via clear and compelling deliverables, including reports, briefs, and visual presentation of synthesised analytical insights.
- Help ensure quality control of outgoing work products and correspondence.
- Meet deadlines through good time management, foresight about future tasks, and regular communication of work plans with project managers.
Qualifications & Experience
- Demonstrated work experience in carbon management solutions, including decarbonisation and carbon removal technologies, and an in-depth understanding of the carbon market.
- Master’s degree in a related field, or a bachelor’s degree with demonstrated work experience, including relevant academic areas of focus, internships, volunteer experience, fellowships, etc.
- Degrees or work experiences that include training in research methods (quantitative or qualitative) are a plus.
- Ability to synthesise findings from scientific and technical reports.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently with limited supervision when necessary, proactively engaging with project managers
- Good communicator, confident synthesis and writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively communicate across internal teams (including with part-time/academic staff members) and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines and respond and adapt to changing client needs.
- Client engagement experience is a plus.
- Proficiency in Excel and/or other analytical software (e.g., R, GIS, Tableau) preferred.
- Our ideal candidate has content knowledge in one or more of the following areas. Expertise across all of the following areas is not a requirement:
- Life Cycle Assessments and/or Techno-Economic Assessments
- Economics (land-use economics experience preferred)
- Emissions Mitigation
- Public policy
- Forestry, ecology, agriculture, conservation, and restoration
- Engineered and hybrid carbon removal solutions (e.g., direct air capture, bioenergy with carbon capture and storage, etc.)
- Carbon markets (voluntary or compliance) and relevant standards and protocols
Carbon Direct has a flexible, remote-friendly culture and we support our employees with their remote work set-up needs.
We also offer a competitive benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, voluntary 401k contributions, paid parental leave, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way Carbon Direct selects and approaches the climate crisis, as well as the creativity and applicability of Carbon Direct's advisory and investment work.
Carbon Direct is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. We adhere rigorously to our equal employment opportunity policies in connection with all employment decisions, including hiring, compensation and promotion.