Scientist for Novel mRNA-based Gene Therapies
Philadelphia, PA (CIC) /
Research – Discovery /
Carisma is expanding into new cell and gene therapy programs and targets and is looking for experienced scientists to drive the leading edge of immunotherapy. Carisma is seeking a Scientist to join a growing research team developing a novel immunotherapy for cancer. The team is focused on establishing a lipid nanoparticle (LNP)/mRNA based in vivo CAR-M platform and building a broad oncology pipeline. The technology is being developed by Carisma as part of a recently announced collaboration with Moderna.
The candidate will be responsible for the design and execution of in vivo preclinical studies and will play a vital role in the translation of our novel mRNA-based gene therapies to the clinic. The candidate will be an integral part of a small team, where each member is expected to take responsibility for their actions, work collaboratively and be an ambassador for the company in front of leadership, vendors, partners, and others. The level of the position and compensation package will be competitive and commensurate with experience and the specific level of the candidate.
The culture at Carisma Therapeutics reflects the cutting-edge nature of the company’s work in developing novel immunotherapy treatments for human diseases. Employees come to work every day knowing their actions will have profound value. The team is a close-knit group and has cultivated an atmosphere that is fun and collegial but also goal-focused and fast-paced. There is great passion for advancing exciting and novel science while also building a successful company.
The position is based in Philadelphia, PA.
- Develop and execute novel in-vivo models in a variety of murine systems to support development of novel cellular immunotherapy platforms
- Evaluate pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of novel cellular therapies either alone or in combinatorial therapy
- Design, execute and analyze a wide variety of ex vivo and in vitro experiments including cytokines secretion assay, cytotoxicity assay and immunophenotype
- Appropriately analyze data, interpret results, and maintain accurate laboratory notebook records
- Prepare summary of finding and present it at internal meetings as well as conferences
- PhD degree in immunology, biology, pharmacology, or related scientific discipline with 2+ years of experience in academia/industry setting.
- in vivo models of cancer including xenograft and syngeneic models
- Mouse necropsy including tissue collection and tissue processing
- Experience with mouse handling and injections
- Aseptic techniques including culturing immortalized and primary cells
- Flow cytometry: planning and acquiring multi-color flow panels with the ability to independently analyze flow data
- Immunoassays: performing assays such as intracellular staining (ICS), ELISA, ELISpot
- Preclinical characterization of cell/gene therapy products
- Analyze datasets and make statistical conclusions
- Work independently on in vitro and in vivo experiments
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Suite of programs, flow cytometry analysis programs, and data analysis and graphing software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a strong ability to present data
- Self-motivated with ability to operate effectively within an entrepreneurial fast-paced work environment and to work independently and collaboratively to achieve program and company goals
- Specific experience with mouse injections via intraperitoneal (IP), intracranial (IC), intramuscular (IM), intravenous (IV), subcutaneous (SQ), and oral gavage routes of administration
- Bioluminescence imaging
- Familiar with IsoPlexis, ddPCR, single cell RNA sequencing platforms
- A problem solver with strong ability to generate, interpret and present scientific data
- Ability to train, supervise and mentor junior scientists
Required In vivo experience:
Required in vitro/ex vivo experience:
Carisma Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Carisma Therapeutics is proud to be a 2021 Best Places to Work Honoree.