In Vivo Associate Scientist
Philadelphia, PA (CIC) /
Research – Discovery /
Carisma Therapeutics is leveraging the natural power of monocytes and macrophages by engineering them to attack tumors. A recently announced collaboration leverages Carisma’s engineered macrophage technology with Moderna’s mRNA and LNP technologies to generate and develop in vivo CAR-M(chimeric antigen receptor macrophages) therapeuticsgiving patients a promising new long-term strategy in the fight against solid tumors.
We are searching for an Associate Scientist that will be responsible for the execution of in vivo preclinical studies and will play a vital role in the translation of our novel mRNA-based gene therapies to the clinic. The candidate will be an integral part of a small team, where each member is expected to take responsibility for their actions and work collaborativelyacross teams. The culture at Carisma Therapeutics reflects the cutting-edge nature of the company’s work in developing novel immunotherapy treatments for human diseases. Employees come to work every day knowing their actions will have profound value. The team is a close-knit group and has cultivated an atmosphere that is fun and collegial but also goal-focused and fast-paced. There is great passion for advancing exciting and novel science while also building a successful company.
The level of the position will be competitive and commensurate with experience and the specific level of the candidate.
This is an on-site position based in Philadelphia, PA.
- Independently execute, monitor and coordinate in vivo studies.
- Perform all in vivo study functions including animal dosing, bleeding, tissue harvesting, surgeries, imaging and necropsy.
- Provide training to all junior in vivo scientists in animal dosing, bleeding, harvesting, imaging and other techniques.
- Comply with IACUC protocols to meet animal welfare requirements and all ethical standards.
- Generate data, contribute to study designs, interpret results, and maintain accurate electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) records.
- Work with team members to perform ex-vivo analyses, organize and prepare test articles/cell lines/tissue samples for in vivo studies.
- Present study data in cross-functional project meetings
- Bachelor’s degree in immunology, biology, pharmacology, or related scientific discipline with 5+ years of experience directly working with in vivo animal models.
- Robust expertise with intravenous (IV), intraperitoneal (IP) and subcutaneous (SQ) injections of laboratory rodents required. Strong tail vein intravenous dosing expertise is required.
- Robust proficiency with rodent necropsy, tissue collection/processing for flow cytometry analysis is required.
- Strong aseptic cell culture experience of immortalized and primary cells.
- Experience with bone marrow conditioning regimens and/or animal models of cell/gene therapy is a plus.
- Experience with ex vivo experimental tools such as FACS, ELISA, RT-PCR etc. is a plus.
- Experience working with tumor models and humanized mouse models is desirable.
- Experience with retro-orbital dosing and orthotopic tumor engraftment is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills and proficiency in multi-tasking in an extremely fast-paced environment with both competing and shifting priorities.
- Experience maintaining an electronic laboratory notebook and following protocols, familiarity with programs such as Excel and Prism for data entry.
Carisma Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Carisma Therapeutics is proud to be a 2021 Best Places to Work Honoree.