Senior Commodity Buyer
El Segundo, CA /
Manufacturing & Operations – Supply Chain /
Please Note: To conform with the United States Government Space Technology Export Regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., conditional resident, asylee or refugee (protected individuals as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
At CesiumAstro, we are developers and pioneers of out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. We take pride in our dynamic and cross-functional work environment, which allows us to learn, develop, and engage across our organization. If you are looking for hands-on, interactive, and autonomous work, CesiumAstro is the place for you. We are actively seeking passionate, collaborative, energetic, and forward-thinking individuals to join our team.
We are looking to add a Senior Commodity Buyer to our growing team. If you enjoy working in a startup environment and are passionate about supporting new product development and manufacturing for an exciting product line of satellite communications equipment, we have the career for you.
In this position, you will develop and execute multi-year, cross-functional (e.g. product line leaders, material managers, engineers, operations, and quality) supply chain strategies for electronics, electrical, and electro-mechanical commodities. You will minimize total landed cost (material cost, freight, duties, inventory, etc.) impact by containing costs through supply base management processes and strategies working with suppliers and the company. This role will also facilitate cross-functional communications to drive optimized sourcing strategies supporting new product development programs.
This is an in-office role that can be performed from our facility in either Austin, TX, Broomfield CO, or El Segundo, CA.
- Develop supply base / commodity strategies consistent with business initiatives.
- Analyze suppliers and their industries, identify preferred suppliers, and regionalize / rationalize / optimize supply base.
- Develop electronic components sourcing strategies, understand technical specifications and the requirements of technical data packages used for electronics manufacturing
- Track and communicate global commodity industry trends, supplier and competitor strategies, key commodity cost drivers, economic factors, and opportunities in the global marketplace.
- Develop cost models to understand "should be" cost to identify and drive cost reduction opportunities and assure cost competitiveness in pursuit of new business opportunities.
- Work closely with Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Engineering in support of Cost Estimating/Quotation process
- Identify Cost Reduction opportunities based on: benchmarking data base and key cost driver analysis, capacity analysis at suppliers, product/process improvements, implementation of new technologies and execution of competitive sourcing process
- Negotiate price and contract agreements. Ensure key contractual reductions are realized.
- Improve speed and flexibility of the supply chain to align with internal and external customer expectations
- Establish best practices in Supply Chain prior to production to achieve product launch and ramp-up schedules
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Materials, Procurement, Supply Chain Management, or related degree. MBA is preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive experience in buying and sourcing electronic components in the Aerospace industry is required. Space specific industry experience preferred.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel (pivot table, formulas, reports) and MRP systems, ideally Acumatica
- Experience identifying, evaluating, and developing new suppliers.
- Detailed electronics market knowledge gained through any of the following: experience in engineering, operations and/or marketing, or first-hand procurement negotiation knowledge.
- Superior written and oral communication skills and the ability to manage multiple, conflicting priorities.
- Must possess negotiation, communication, problem-solving, and analytical skills with demonstrated results.
- Highly organized and able to function successfully in a fast-paced product development environment.
$115,000 - $130,000 a year
CesiumAstro considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills. We also provide generous benefits and stock option packages to all our employees.
CesiumAstro, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.