Power Electronics Engineer II
Milton Keynes /
Cesium UK – Engineering /
At CesiumAstro, we are developers and pioneers of out-of-the-box communication systems for satellites, UAVs, launch vehicles, and other space and airborne platforms. We take pride in our dynamic and cross-functional work environment, which allows us to learn, develop, and engage across our organization. If you are looking for hands-on, interactive, and autonomous work, CesiumAstro is the place for you. We are actively seeking passionate, collaborative, energetic, and forward-thinking individuals to join our team.
We are looking to add a Power Electronics Engineer II to our team. If you are great at what you do, enjoy working in a startup environment, and are passionate about developing leading-edge power electronics for satellites, spacecraft, and aerospace systems, we would like to hear from you.
In this position, you will be designing power electronics circuits through all stages of the development process. The three primary product areas for this position are (1) lithium-ion battery packs with cell management electronics, (2) optimized point-of-load converters for RF and digital modules (typically ranging from 1W to 50W), and (3) standalone isolated dc-dc converter modules (typically 20W to 500W).
You will be involved in hardware design from concept through production, including block diagrams, part selection, schematic design, PCB layout and routing, analysis, manufacturing (working with contract manufacturers), test, qualification, and in-orbit support.
The successful candidate will also present engineering design review materials to our customers and executive team, as well as participate in proposal-writing efforts. As such, excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Successful candidates will require, as a minimum:
- A Bachelor of Science (BS) or Master of Science (MS) degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university.
- 2 years of industry or university research experience in power electronics design, analysis, test, and troubleshooting. More experienced candidates are also encouraged to apply.
- Industry experience designing successful power electronics products from concept through schematic, layout, manufacturing, test, and deployment.
- Proficiency in power circuit analysis, such as worst-case circuit analysis, failure method effectivity and criticality, and reliability.
- Proficiency in electronics design (EDA) tools such as Altium.
- Proficiency in PCB layout for power circuits.
- Experience with SPICE-based circuit simulation.
- Experience with power integrity simulation tools such as Ansys or ADS.
- Extensive hands-on experience with lab instruments such as oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, and electronic loads.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred experience includes:
- Design of lithium-ion battery packs and cell management electronics.
- Design of maximum-power-point-tracking solar power converters.
- Space industry experience.
- EMI/EMC design and mitigation techniques.
- CesiumAstro is an equal opportunity employer offering competitive salaries and great benefits including competitive employer pension contributions, company-provided income protection and life insurance cover, an employee assistance program, and generous vacation and sick leave.
- Tremendous scope for personal growth and professional development in a high-growth company.
- A highly talented, passionate, international team that is changing the space industry.
- Modern working environment.
CesiumAstro considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills.