Head of Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Cottage was founded with the belief that there had to be a better way for homeowners and contractors to work together. We are building a SaaS-enabled marketplace that allows homeowners to design online, get upfront pricing and access vetted contractors who run their business on our platform. We're starting with Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs), which provide much needed housing, a smart investment for homeowners and consistent work for contractors.
Cottage is backed by Fifth Wall, Susa Ventures, Base10 Partners and premier proptech angel investors. The leadership team have built businesses and products at Uber, Procore and Tonal, as well as hundreds of millions of dollars of custom homes. Join us to work alongside top talent on a product that outlives you.
As the Head of Engineering, you will be the technical visionary, driving the strategic direction of our software development to create innovative solutions for homeowners and contractors. Leading a talented team of engineers, your role will be critical in scaling our business, developing high-quality software, and optimizing our systems for speed and efficiency. Your leadership will be instrumental in shaping Cottage's culture and success, blending your technical expertise with strategic thinking and people management.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with the leadership team on building Cottage from the ground up - including business strategy, culture and product offerings
- Oversee the design and implementation of technology solutions, ensuring they meet business needs and align with our strategic vision.
- Foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, and customer-centricity within the engineering team.
- Drive the technical roadmap, making key decisions on technology stack, system architecture, and development practices.
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality, scalable, and secure software at a startup pace.
- Partner with Product and Design teams to translate the product vision into actionable development plans.
- Evangelize agile methodologies to enhance team productivity and efficiency.
- Manage the recruitment, mentorship, and professional growth of the engineering team members.
- Establish metrics for system performance and monitor KPIs to ensure optimal functionality.
- Promote and maintain a positive work environment that supports diversity, inclusion, and employee engagement.
What you'll need
- 8+ years professional experience as a software engineer.
- Proven leadership experience in a software engineering role.
- Extensive experience building and scaling software applications in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Significant experience with modern web frameworks like React, Vue, NextJS, etc.
- Proficiency in multiple programming languages, and solid knowledge of modern software architectures and API-driven development.
- Experience with database design, data modeling, and performance optimization.
- Understanding of agile development methodologies and experience with devops practices.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with a track record of overcoming complex technical challenges.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with diverse teams.
- A strong sense of ownership, initiative, and drive, with a passion for technology and its impact on the business.
- A strong advocate for best practices, quality, and sound engineering principles.
What you'll get
- Competitive salary
- Early-stage employee equity — let’s build this rocketship together :)
- Top of the line medical, dental and vision benefits
- Participation in Cottage’s 401k plan
- Empowerment to make decisions, act quickly, and be an owner
- Flexible work arrangements to maintain work-life balance.
- A vibrant and dynamic work environment with a team that shares your passion for innovation and growth.
- Opportunities for continuous learning and career advancement.
- The satisfaction of creating a product that positively impacts people's lives.
- A culture that values diversity, inclusivity, and employee input.
Cottage celebrates and is strengthened by diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for the benefit of our people, products, and communities.