Marketing & Communications Department /
Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee (DLCC) is the official party committee dedicated to electing Democrats to state legislatures. Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have built new majorities and flipped seats from red to blue across the country –paving the way for progress. State legislatures pass the policies that most affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Taking back power starts at the local level. The DLCC recruits, trains, and supports local Democrats running for their state legislatures. We provide our candidates and state partners with resources and field support to help lay the groundwork to run smart, winning campaigns. The DLCC has become the leading authority on our ballot level, changing the way Democrats invest in and focus on state legislative races thanks to our new Path to The Majority strategy that focuses on strategic investments to bolster our proven track record and data-driven operation.
We’re powered by over 375,000 supporters from all 50 states. Over 98% of our contributions come from grassroots donors who fuel thousands of local Democratic candidates across the country.
Building up Democratic majorities in the states is more important than ever. With right-wing radicals proliferating in state legislatures across the country and key issues like reproductive health care, LGBTQ+ equality, and voting rights being decided in the states, our democracy is on the line. We’re counting on our supporters to get educated, involved, and take action in their communities.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
As the Digital Assistant, you’ll work within DLCC’s Marketing and Communications department to craft powerful digital products that mobilize supporters, empower candidates, and spread our message far and wide.
The Digital Assistant reports to the Director of Social Platforms. The DLCC is located in Washington, DC, and our office has taken on a hybrid model for staff effective January 2022. The position is eligible to be permanently remote.
The Digital Assistant is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
- CREDIBILITY: We are respected and trusted in words and actions.
- INCLUSIVE: The DLCC values the unique experience and perspective of all who work here. We strive to make all contributors feel welcomed, valued, and respected. We focus on outcomes, recognizing different people approach opportunities and challenges differently.
- INITIATIVE: We exhibit high levels of creativity in our work and need all team members to proactively contribute ideas to move our work forward.
-RESULTS DRIVEN: Our team undertakes projects professionally and executes them fully and to completion.
- RISK: We identify opportunities to employ new ideas and tactics, and execute these ideas when we believe the potential reward outweighs
- TEAMWORK: We work collaboratively, additively, and in sync with our colleagues. Our individual work considers the needs, capacity, and expertise of those we work alongside.
- Help conceptualize, create, and maintain the DLCC’s digital products, including our website, microsites, social media, and other special projects.
- Assist in drafting the DLCC’s website content, including blog posts and new pages, and be responsible for their approvals process.
- Coordinate the drafting, approvals, and production process for the DLCC’s Spotlight Races program to highlight key candidates across the country, collaborating with staff in the Political and Research departments where necessary.
- Track web projects on the team’s project-tracking system.
- Stay up-to-date on industry topics like SEO and accessibility to ensure DLCC is maintaining best practices with regard to our website.
- Report monthly on website analytics, including site traffic and page performance.
- Coordinate with our website contractors to streamline technical issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Digital Assistant is an integral part of the ideation, creation, and execution process for the digital projects executed by the DLCC.
- Assigned duties are managed and completed in a timely, detail-oriented, and consistent manner.
- The Marketing and Communications team is supported in executing aggressive campaign plans, meeting organizational goals, and allowing DLCC to help take and hold critical legislative chambers across the country.
- This is an entry-level position and demonstrated skills requirements may be met by academic or other experiences. Interest in gaining experience with political digital engagement is required.
- Excellent writing skills. Professional familiarity with drafting across digital or mass-market platforms is a plus.
- A strong interest in data-driven marketing and communications.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks accordingly.
Bonus Experience (not required)
- Digital experience on a campaign, committee, or mission-oriented organization, including but not limited to online fundraising, social media, or digital organizing.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with WordPress.
- Familiarity with CRMs such as Monday.com.
- Basic HTML/CSS experience.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, Nytoyia Laughlin.
Essential functions of the role include:
Working from a computer for long periods of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may also frequently be required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in-person with stakeholders.
This position has less than 5% travel expectations and is eligible for flexible work hour arrangements.
How to Apply
Salary for the Digital Assistant is $51,000-$56,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefits package, including:
- More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days.
- Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents.
- Up to 6% retirement employer contribution.
- Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region.
- Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account.
- Up to $5,000 employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for IVF-related costs or Adoption Assistance, and up to $2,500 for employer-paid Health Reimbursement Account for out-of-pocket dental and orthodontic expenses.
- Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit.
- Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement.
- and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application by June 8, 2023. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by June 8, 2023. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls, please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.
$51,000 - $56,000 a year