Regional Political Director
Political Department /
Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is the only organization exclusively committed to winning Democratic majorities and building Democratic power in state legislatures across the country. The DLCC has been working with state legislative leaders for over two decades to invest strategically in state programs and build the Democratic Party from the ground up.
Since 2016, the DLCC and state partners have flipped more than 450 seats from red to blue, building ten new Democratic majorities and paving the way for progress across the country. State legislatures pass most of the policies that affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy.
Our Democratic legislatures are truly the last line of defense against the Trump administration and Republicans’ extreme policies. With redistricting on the horizon, our democracy is on the line in 2020, and state legislatures are the battleground in this fight.
The DLCC is dedicated to respect in the workplace, and prioritizes racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another, as well as with our stakeholders. We compensate employees competitively and provide a very generous benefits package that allows our team members to care for themselves and those closest to them. We believe in balance and respect that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options.
Regional Political Director
The Regional Political Director is a member of the DLCC’s Political Department and leads DLCC engagement in assigned states to capture or maintain legislative majorities and to build Democratic power in states.
A successful Regional Political Director builds and maintains caucus and ally relationships on behalf of the DLCC, collects and analyzes political information and intelligence with a critical eye and provide recommendations to enable the DLCC to effectively provide strategic support from departments across the DLCC, and executes DLCC’s programs, interests and needs with in-state actors.
2021 brings a unique layer of engagement for the DLCC as state legislatures around the country will be redistricting State and Federal electoral maps. Executing the organization’s redistricting strategy will be a large component of the expected workload during 2021.
This position reports to the Interim Political Director. Normally, significant travel is required. However due to COVID-19, the DLCC has a limited travel policy. This position is not required to be located in Washington, DC.
The Regional Political Director is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
● Results Driven
Deliver campaign tools and services that enable caucuses to adopt best campaign practices:
● Use available data and political intelligence to advise state legislative leaders and caucus staff on the path to retain or obtain Democratic majorities.
● Regularly assess caucus performance against best practices and standards considering the state specific context.
● Provide coaching, training, and feedback to caucuses to implement campaign best practices and address needed changes to caucus campaign programs to help caucus programs meet DLCC investment standards.
● Analyze resource allocation requests and ensure alignment with the scale of opportunity and departmental priorities.
● Report state-by-state political lay of the land to the Interim Political Director, including contributions and engagement recommendations within a defined set of states.
Ensure DLCC remains the authority on state legislative campaigns:
● Be the DLCC authority on assigned states.
● Pursue tactics that provide timely, accurate availability of data for DLCC and state caucus use.
● Be accountable for the accuracy and timeliness of political intelligence.
● Consistently use DLCC reporting systems and respond to requests for information from other departments in a timely fashion.
Manage DLCC Relationships in States:
● Represent and advocate for the DLCC’s interests within a region of states.
● Maintain accurate and up to date profiles/analyses of organizations and individuals that are integral to achieving Democratic state legislative majorities in assigned states.
● Develop and maintain strong relationships with caucus leaders and Democratic Legislative leaders, consulting teams, and other relevant in-state partners.
● Develop and maintain partnerships with caucus staff.
● Serve as a connector between DLCC departments and state-based individuals and organizations to achieve organizational objectives.
● Track organizational asks for legislators, including but not limited to DLCC event attendance, fundraising asks and brand ambassador opportunities.
● Other duties as assigned.
Executing the DLCC’s Redistricting Strategy:
● Collaborate with partner organizations and caucus leaders on their state’s redistricting process as permissible by state law.
● Liaise with DLCC staff to provide recommendations and analysis on proposed maps.
● Collect, catalogue, and communicate political intelligence related to the redistricting process by state during each phase of the process.
● Provide resource recommendations where necessary for caucuses throughout the process.
● DLCC has impactful and influential relationships in assigned states.
● DLCC has actionable political information and intelligence in assigned states.
● Legislative campaigns are modeling best practices including increasing resources required to win and using the best technology.
● Caucus programs are increasing resources they are able to raise in order to build bigger and more effective programs.
● Caucus programs and legislative campaigns using resources with optimal efficiency.
● Caucus programs and legislative campaigns are running modern and effective campaigns.
● At least five years or three cycles of political or campaign experience.
● Experience working with state legislative campaign staff is preferred.
● Experience working directly with candidates.
● Experience fundraising and managing a budget is preferred.
● Outstanding relationship building and analytical skills.
● Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
● Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks appropriately.
● A great and flexible attitude for a dynamic, campaign-like environment and pace.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, Ellie Collinson.
Essential functions of the role of Regional Political Director include:
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
● This position requires the employee to travel to targeted states more than 50% of time, to attend events, meetings, and conferences offsite, hosted by key collaborators in a variety of physical settings. Due to COVID 19, the DLCC has a limited travel policy.
How to Apply
Salary for the Regional Political Director is $85,000 – $110,000 on an annualized basis, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The DLCC offers a generous benefit package, including:
● More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days;
● Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents;
● Up to 6% retirement employer contribution;
● Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region;
● Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account;
● Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit;
● Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement;
● and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application by November 15, 2020. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by November 15, 2020. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.