Washington, DC /
Political Department /
The Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee is the only organization exclusively committed to winning Democratic majorities and building Democratic power in state legislatures across the country. The DLCC has been working with state legislative leaders for over two decades to invest strategically in state programs and build the Democratic Party from the ground up.
State legislatures pass most of the policies that affect Americans’ day-to-day lives, and flipping chambers from red to blue has an outsized impact on governing and public policy. Our Democratic legislatures are truly the last line of defense against Republicans’ extreme policies and a conservative Supreme Court. The DLCC is committed to building sustainable
infrastructure in the states to win legislative seats and legislative chambers.
The DLCC compensates employees competitively and provides a very generous benefits package. We believe in work-life balance and understand that every employee has unique circumstances at home. We offer employees significant amounts of time off as well as flexible work options. We’re dedicated to treating one another with respect in the workplace, and prioritize racial equity and inclusion (REI) in our work with one another as well as with our stakeholders.
The Political Director leads the execution of DLCC’s coordinated-side state strategy and command of political intelligence through successful management of the DLCC’s coordinated-side regional political team.
The Political Director reports to the Vice President, Political and Strategic Initiatives. The position can be remote, but significant travel to Washington, D.C., will be expected, along with potential travel to target states. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the DLCC office is not open through at least March 31, 2021.
The Political Director is expected to model the values of the DLCC:
● Results Driven
● Oversee the development and execution of DLCC’s coordinated-side strategy, including the development of coordinated-side political objectives, caucus development objectives, quarterly targets, budgets, human resource needs, and tactical priorities.
● Manage coordinated-side political team, which currently includes 6 Regional Political Team members, a Senior Finance Advisor, and Political Coordinator. The Political Director will align department goals with each staff member and work with each team member to set priorities and skill development objectives.
● Ensure work is aligned and prioritized based on DLCC’s organizational strategy, coordinated-side political strategy, and priorities within any given state, chamber, and/or target.
● Guide direct reports to work through barriers and obstacles to supporting DLCC’s objectives, achieving the coordinated-side strategy and ensuring that caucus development objectives are met. When change is needed in a state, ensure we are leveraging our resources to achieve our goals.
● Work with and advise coordinated-side Regional Political Directors in establishing relationships on behalf of DLCC with legislative leaders, legislators, and staff.
● Ensure direct reports are providing the necessary coordinated-side political information to other departments, enabling them to effectively execute DLCC’s organizational strategy and support the execution of the coordinated-side political strategy.
Campaigns Strategy and Caucus Engagement
● Ensure that the political strategy to build power for each state and chamber is rooted in evidence, is well articulated, and the DLCC understands the budget, staffing, and capacity development necessary to achieve it.
● Identify priorities, patterns of opportunity, and consistent challenges among chambers to prioritize DLCC resources and programs, create economies of scale, and share learning across regional political staff and caucuses to speed results.
Ensure direct reports are collaborating with caucus staff to instill strong caucus standards and best practices in targeted states, tracking progress to standards, and help problem-solve to achieve standards.
● Guide direct reports in assessing growth opportunities within assigned states, sharing that information with relevant political team members, and prioritizing organizational interests.
● Establish priorities and practices for maintaining strong, mutually beneficial relationships with legislators, legislative leaders, and caucus staff.
● Coach coordinated-side regional team to create, adjust, and execute targeted states’ caucus strategy.
● Establish systems and protocols for organizational requests from legislators and legislative leaders.
● Contribute to, and support direct reports in embracing the DLCC’s ongoing commitment to racial equity and inclusion when working with caucus programs.
● Maintain accurate and up-to-date intelligence and information on all state political developments.
● Serve as an internal expert and resource to DLCC’s Senior Leadership team and throughout the organization.
● Manage political intelligence along with information and state-based strategies so that it is clearly communicated across the organization in a timely, effective, and efficient manner.
● Establish systems and processes to ensure political intelligence and information is current and readily available to support DLCC’s external communications needs.
● Work with the political team and the organization to deploy staff resources as needed for opportunities such as special elections and more.
● Work closely with VP, Political and Strategic Initiatives and Senior Advisor, Strategic Initiatives to move information across the organization.
● DLCC has a clear coordinated-side political strategy that articulates the path to increase or maintain Democratic power in each state legislative chamber, defines opportunity cost within and among chambers, and prioritizes effort and budget allocations accordingly. DLCC leadership has a clear understanding of the budget and capacity gaps that are barriers to building legislative power or threaten state legislative power.
● The DLCC coordinated-side strategy to build state legislative power actively promotes diversity and authentic inclusion.
● DLCC understands the gaps/needs in targeted states, including both financial and infrastructure to build programs to win with scalable budgets.
● DLCC political intelligence is timely, prioritized, well-organized, and easily accessible, demonstrating unparalleled understanding of the opportunities and threats to state Democratic power nationally and within each chamber, as well as reflecting the importance of DLCC board members, legislative leaders, and key legislators as critical surrogates of the organization.
● DLCC political intelligence needs and requests are effectively managed within the organization in order to meet organizational objectives.
● The DLCC coordinated-side regional political team is measurably improving the quality of caucus operations and campaigns.
● The DLCC coordinated-side regional political team has productive relationships with caucus leaders and staff.
● The DLCC coordinated-side regional political team is independently assessing political intelligence available and articulating relevant information to determine whether organizational strategy is being met, or if there are challenges that may change program strategy.
● The DLCC coordinated-side regional political team is developing the necessary skills and getting the feedback they need to successfully execute the strategy to build power in states and support the organization to achieve its objectives.
● Success is clearly defined for targeted states and the strategy to achieve it is clear to all DLCC staff.
● The DLCC coordinated-side regional political team is aggregating the results of the organization’s effort and investment within and across chambers quarterly, and is identifying lessons from analysis, and sharing the lessons learned.
● Minimum of 8 years of political experience, including but not limited to: managing political campaigns, developing political strategy, leading progressive organization engagement in political activity, and collaborating with other organizations to effect political change. Some experience with state legislative politics is required.
● Thoughtful, innovative political strategist able to learn quickly, as well as challenge one’s own and other’s thinking to get the best results.
● Experience managing and motivating staff at mid-career level.
● Experience with gathering and analyzing information, like political intelligence.
● Experience working with campaign or organizational budgets and managing varying priorities.
● Experience working in a demanding work environment.
The DLCC is committed to supporting employees of varying abilities and to providing reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to thrive at the DLCC.
The requirements of this role, related to its physical demands, described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
All DLCC employees must be able to operate a computer and use a cell phone. For roles at the DLCC that include frequent business travel expectations, we can discuss reasonable alternatives to travel in some instances. Most roles also require communicating with key external stakeholders of the organization in person, via the telephone, or via email. Applicants with questions about accommodations may request to speak with our ADA liaison, Ellie Collinson.
Essential functions of the role of Political Director include:
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to communicate using the telephone, email, and in person with stakeholders.
● This position requires the employee to travel up to 30% of the time, including to Washington, DC regularly if they are located elsewhere, and targeted states, to attend events, meetings, and conferences offsite, hosted by key collaborators in a variety of physical settings. Due to COVID 19, the DLCC currently has a limited travel policy.
How to Apply
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, within the approved salary band for this position. The DLCC offers a generous benefit package to support each of our team members’ lives and priorities, including:
● More than 25 days of paid time off, including for Federal holidays, time off around Federal holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year, vacation, sick, and personal days;
● Fully paid health/vision/dental insurance for the employee + spouse/partner + dependents;
● Up to 6% retirement employer contribution;
● Monthly use-it-or-lose-it $100 transit benefit for employees located in the DC region;
● Employer contribution of $500 to employee’s Flexible Spending
Account, and opportunity to withhold pre-tax income for Dependent Care Account;
● Monthly $100 student loan payment benefit;
● Monthly $100 mobile phone reimbursement;
● and more.
To apply for this position, please complete an electronic application by January 15, 2021. The DLCC may review applications after this deadline in limited circumstances, however this is not a guarantee that your application will be considered if it is not submitted by January 15, 2021. Only complete applications through the application portal will be accepted. You must also include a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to be considered for this position. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for this position, they may request it in writing by emailing jobs(at)dlcc.org. No calls please. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
The DLCC is committed to an inclusive and equitable environment and diversity among its staff and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DLCC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, marital status, family responsibilities, genetic information, or any other legally protected basis. The DLCC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.