Technical Product Manager
Remote US /
EducationSuperHighway (ESH) works to bridge the digital divide by bringing free internet access to households in America's most unconnected communities. We believe that broadband is one of the most transformative technologies of our generation and can provide all Americans with equal access to education, healthcare, and economic opportunities. But every household needs high-speed broadband to make that opportunity a reality.
ESH was founded with the mission of upgrading the Internet access in every public school classroom in America. The pandemic has made it clear that home Internet is essential not only for education. We now have a historic opportunity to connect the 18 million homes that cannot afford high-speed broadband. ESH is an essential catalyst in that effort, building public-private partnerships to identify and connect the unconnected. We are a highly collaborative, entrepreneurial team. We are driven to accomplish our mission with urgency.
Equity is more than a commitment at ESH, it is the foundation of our mission. We are fully dedicated to having a staff who come from communities that are most impacted by the digital divide. We especially encourage people of color, LGBQ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply. As an ESH team member you must understand the unique responsibilities and accountabilities of a diversity, equity, and inclusion focused organization.
Why You Might Be Excited
As the Technical Product Manager you will be in a highly visible role conceived with an emphasis on creating centralized responsibility for technology for the organization. You will be joining ESH at a time when the problems you solve and the strategies that you develop will have a profound impact on the way that we scale our work and operate as a team. You will operate as a senior level planner, facilitator and purveyor of information while championing applications, processes and systems that will improve ESH’s ability to realize its mission to connect 18 million households that cannot afford Internet access at home.
- Drive the definition of EducationSuperHighway's core software tools and platform, from collecting and categorizing potential ideas to making tough calls on the important details
- Be the overall steward of the user experience for all ESH software, including owning the definition of user interface standards and helping to manage outside design resources as needed
- Share responsibilities around scrum ceremonies such as sprint planning with the Engineering Manager, and, to a lesser extent, the engineering team at large
- Coordinate the QA requirements and processes for ESH software
- Act as the single conduit for feedback on the products they own, including gathering feedback from internal and external sources, triaging bugs and improvement requests, and balancing implementation of specific tactical requests with steady movement toward our big picture goals and overall vision
- Generate ideas for new features and identify opportunities for us to use software tools to advance our programs and mission
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and be a champion for best practice processes
- Be the face of customers by understanding and representing their needs and product requirements
- Analyze competitors’ products and explore new ways to improve the company’s products
- Work with the development team to ensure that product requirements are understood
- Translate product’s strategy into detailed requirements for prototype construction and final product development
- Ensure that user story content and prioritization is aligned to larger strategic objectives
- Demonstrable skill in an operational product management role defining and delivering high complexity products
- Experience breaking complex business requirements into concise user stories
- Expertise managing software processes for small teams
- An opinion on which processes, tools, and artifacts best encourage high-velocity, low-overhead development
- Experience identifying key product development decision points, clearly framing the options, and building consensus with a broad internal team
- Ability to engage with a wide variety of internal and external product stakeholders
- Experience working with external and volunteer engineering resources and engaging with open source communities
- A disposition to thrive in a rapid growth environment, and comfort in the unique trade-offs inherent in startup engineering
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creativity and flexibility, and a passion for bringing those qualities to your professional work
- Passion about our mission to close the digital divide in America’s most unconnected communities
- Full Time
- Salary range: $100,000-$130,000
- Preferred Start on or before 8/1/2022
The salary for this position depends on your prior work experience. You will have an opportunity to discuss salary in more detail after you begin the application process. We believe in compensating staff members fairly in relation to each other, their qualifications, and their impact on behalf of the organization and take internal equity seriously. Staff who are meeting expectations generally receive an annual merit increase. ESH conducts regular benchmarking; based on this external data, some salaries may also receive market adjustments to keep pace with relevant competition in similar roles.
ESH offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance, a flexible time away policy, remote work benefits, parental leave, and pre-tax deductions enabled for a variety of needs, including a 403(b) plan for retirement savings, health and dependent care, and commuting costs.
We believe in the creativity, connection, and collaboration that happens when people work together face-to-face and we believe in giving people flexibility to focus and balance personal priorities. Although we work remotely, ESH sponsors travel to gather together 3-4 times a year in a US-based city.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest and experience. Please note that resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
EducationSuperHighway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they check all the boxes listed in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.