Internship - Electrical Engineer
Medford, MA /
Nearly half of global greenhouse gas emissions come from burning fuel in kilns, turbines, and boilers to support industrial processes and electricity generation. To achieve net-zero all industries must find clean heat solutions. Today clean electricity is available when the wind blows and the sun shines, but we lack a technology that translates this to reliable, low-cost, high-temperature heat. While electric heating has been deployed in niche applications, poor durability and expensive electricity limits widespread adoption.
Electrified Thermal is on a mission to decarbonize industry with renewable heat. We are building the Joule Hive™ thermal battery: an energy storage technology that converts and stores cheap, renewable electricity as high-temperature heat. Our patented technology revolutionizes the durability of affordable electric heating to deliver flame-temperatures to any process. Our vision is to mitigate gigatons of CO2 emissions per year by deploying the Joule Hive™ at every industrial furnace, turbine, boiler and kiln for 100% decarbonization by 2050.
Electrified Thermal is a rapidly growing startup with support from the US DOE ARPA-E, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, Activate, and NREL-Shell Gamechanger (GCxN). We just closed a $4.5M seed round with several mission aligned venture firms including Clean Energy Ventures, Starlight Ventures, and the Grantham Foundation. Over the past two years we have built a productive and enjoyable workplace with culture rooted in equity and respect.
Join us if you are
Looking to tackle complex challenges with outsized impacts
Passionate about preventing climate change
Motivated to creatively and collaboratively solve problems
A self-starter who is willing to dig in and do whatever it takes to get the job done
As the electrical engineering intern, you will join the engineering team to design, build, and test resistive heating rigs. Your work will support the development and optimization of our novel materials and prototype system. You will report directly to the Test Engineer.
- Aid in experiment design of joule-heating systems to evaluate material thermal and electric performance.
- Source equipment, instrumentation, and raw materials required for benchtop test rig.
- Calibrate and maintain controls and diagnostic equipment.
- Work with engineering team to implement standard operating procedures and safety controls.
Skills & Experience
- Enrolled in MS or PhD program in Electrical Eng., Systems Eng., or similar field.
- Demonstrated proficiency setting up and monitoring controls and instrumentation such as power supplies, LabVIEW, PLC, thermocouples, flow meters, or similar.
- Familiarity with writing and implementing standard operating procedures.
- Bonus – Experience working with electric heaters, high temperature furnaces, or similar.
- Bonus – experience managing the safety and operation of high voltage systems (>1kV).
5 days of paid vacation at a mutually-agreed upon time during the internship, plus company holidays.
This is a 3 to 4 month fall internship, start and end date negotiable.
Location and Hours
ETS is located in Medford, MA. For this role, regular on-site work is expected. Flexibility in schedule and virtual work may be accommodated.
ETS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
We believe people are the catalyst for success, and therefore seek those with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to maximize our impact. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.