Sr. Electrical Engineer - Power & Controls
Medford, MA /
Nearly half of global greenhouse gas emissions come from burning fuel in kilns, turbines, and boilers to support industrial processes and electricity generation. To achieve net-zero all industries must find clean heat solutions. Today clean electricity is available when the wind blows and the sun shines, but we lack a technology that translates this to reliable, low-cost, high-temperature heat. While electric heating has been deployed in niche applications, poor durability and expensive electricity limits widespread adoption.
Electrified Thermal is on a mission to decarbonize industry with renewable heat. We are building the Joule Hive™ thermal battery: an energy storage technology that converts and stores cheap, renewable electricity as high-temperature heat. Our patented technology revolutionizes the durability of affordable electric heating to deliver flame-temperatures to any process. Our vision is to mitigate gigatons of CO2 emissions per year by deploying the Joule Hive™ at every industrial furnace, turbine, boiler and kiln for 100% decarbonization by 2050.
Electrified Thermal is a rapidly growing startup with support from the US DOE ARPA-E, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, Activate, and NREL-Shell Gamechanger (GCxN). We just closed a $4.5M seed round with several mission aligned venture firms including Clean Energy Ventures, Starlight Ventures, and the Grantham Foundation. Over the past two years we have built a productive and enjoyable workplace with culture rooted in equity and respect.
Join us if you are
Looking to tackle complex challenges with outsized impacts
Passionate about preventing climate change
Motivated to creatively and collaboratively solve problems
A self-starter who is willing to dig in and do whatever it takes to get the job done
As the Electrical Engineer – Power & Controls, you will lead the development of the power and control systems for the Joule Hive™ thermal battery. You will design, develop, and implement power solutions that can control transient dynamics of the Joule Hive™ thermal battery, with a special focus on control of power electronics. You will be an important team member of the Joule Hive™ thermal battery product development team. You will report directly to the VP of Engineering.
- Lead the selection and procurement of power equipment for the Joule Hive™ thermal battery.
- Develop, evaluate, and test real-time control logics and/or algorithms for the Joule Hive™, with special focus on power electronics controls.
- Collaborate closely with the mechanical design team and external contractors to ensure the different equipment can be controlled to provide desired system outcomes.
- Utilize resources of contractors, collaborators and advisors on electric power and controls development effort.
- Lead risk identification and management for the control system.
- Document and communicate control system design constraints and opportunities.
- Leverage and develop automated processes to efficiently solve problems.
- Break complex projects into manageable, defined tasks with associated scopes and completion timelines
Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, PhD is a plus.
- At least five years of experience developing, testing, and evaluating large (MW-scale) electric power systems and controls.
- Experience with controls for mechanical hardware (compressor, pump, valves, etc.) is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to apply digital control models (Simulink) to system codes (Aspen, Relap5, etc). Familiarity with digital twin modeling is a plus.
- Deep knowledge in power equipment and associated controls. Experience designing and developing power electronic equipment from scratch is highly desirable.
- Experience with control failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) and related hazard analyses is highly desirable.
- Experience with Python to automate modeling scenarios is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Collaborative, adaptable, and loves to challenge assumptions.
- Devises creative solutions without losing focus on the defined scope and timeline.
Medical, dental, and vision, is 100% covered for employees.
Location and Hours
ETS is located in Medford, MA. For this role, regular on-site work is expected. Flexibility in schedule and virtual work may be accommodated.
ETS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
We believe people are the catalyst for success, and therefore seek those with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to maximize our impact. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.