Mechanical Engineer - FEA Product Design
Medford, MA /
Nearly half of global greenhouse gas emissions come from burning fuel in kilns, turbines, and boilers to support industrial processes and electricity generation. To achieve net-zero all industries must find clean heat solutions. Today clean electricity is available when the wind blows and the sun shines, but we lack a technology that translates this to reliable, low-cost, high-temperature heat. While electric heating has been deployed in niche applications, poor durability and expensive electricity limits widespread adoption.
Electrified Thermal is on a mission to decarbonize industry with renewable heat. We are building the Joule Hive™ thermal battery: an energy storage technology that converts and stores cheap, renewable electricity as high-temperature heat. Our patented technology revolutionizes the durability of affordable electric heating to deliver flame-temperatures to any process. Our vision is to mitigate gigatons of CO2 emissions per year by deploying the Joule Hive™ at every industrial furnace, turbine, boiler and kiln for 100% decarbonization by 2050.
Electrified Thermal is a rapidly growing startup with support from the US DOE ARPA-E, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, Activate, and NREL-Shell Gamechanger (GCxN). We just closed a $4.5M seed round with several mission aligned venture firms including Clean Energy Ventures, Starlight Ventures, and the Grantham Foundation. Over the past two years we have built a productive and enjoyable workplace with culture rooted in equity and respect.
Join us if you are
Looking to tackle complex challenges with outsized impacts
Passionate about preventing climate change
Motivated to creatively and collaboratively solve problems
A self-starter who is willing to dig in and do whatever it takes to get the job done
This role will support the company with the iterative design and optimization of the Joule Hive™ thermal battery. You will have a central role in developing the flagship company product in a landscape of vast design options and constraints. You will report directly to the CTO.
- Iteratively design and optimize the Joule Hive™ thermal battery.
- Create and run product performance models, focusing on heat generation, heat transfer and fluid flows.
- Analyze complex data sets and interpret simulation results to inform product design.
- Continually engage with broader internal team and external partners to consider practical implications of design.
- Leverage and develop automated processes to efficiently solve problems.
- Execute multiple ongoing projects while staying within project budgets and schedules.
- Break complex projects into manageable, defined tasks with associated scopes and completion timelines.
- Keep up with the latest tools and programs; perform technical research and self-training as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Master or PhD in mechanical engineering or related field with specific experience in heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and energy systems
- Experience in FEA and CFD, ideally with ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS Mechanical
- Demonstrated expertise in design optimization of industrial plant (or equivalent) components
- Passion for design and analytical problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized, detail-oriented
- Cooperative, adaptable, and loves to question assumptions
- Inclusive mentor who loves to train less experienced team members and leverage their skills throughout the company
- Devises creative solutions without losing focus on the defined scope and timeline
Medical, dental, and vision, is 100% covered for employees.
20 days of paid vacation, 9 federal holidays
Location and Hours
ETS is located in Medford, MA. For this role, regular on-site work is expected. Flexibility in schedule and virtual work may be accommodated.
ETS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
We believe people are the catalyst for success, and therefore seek those with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to maximize our impact. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.