Research Scientist/Engineer in Autonomous Systems and Robotics
Brisbane, QLD /
Flight Autonomy /
Emesent has built a reputation as the key leader in automating data collection in challenging environments. Our award-winning technology, Hovermap, utilises innovative hardware, advanced algorithms and machine learning to automate collection and analysis of the physical world. Customers are able to acquire data in GPS-denied environments gaining insights that were not possible before. Our rapidly growing customer base are in the fields of mining, infrastructure and survey & mapping.
Starting from a humble vision in Brisbane, Australia, with deep connections to Australia's globally recognised CSIRO, and building to a mid-sized global organisation in just 12 months, our growth speaks for itself.
At Emesent we pride ourselves on the way our people operate. Our global talent are a cut above the rest who are at the top of their game, thriving in a collaborative environment. The work culture here is inclusive with the perfect balance of delivering results and pushing the boundaries all whilst having a little fun!
This role is a great opportunity for a research scientist/engineer with a passion for autonomous systems and robots, and a desire to push the state-of-the-art in drone and unmanned ground vehicle research for industrial applications. Your primary responsibilities will include developing and implementing advanced autonomy technologies that enable safe and reliable operation of autonomous vehicles in complex scenarios including GPS-denied environments such as indoors and underground.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Develop, implement innovative autonomy technologies and software to enable new and advanced drone and unmanned ground vehicle capabilities.
- Research and implement high-level autonomy architectures and algorithms for path planning, perception, mission planning, supervision and decisions making.
- Develop specialised autonomy modules and functionalities for specific applications and environments to enable single-click execution of complex missions.
- Contribute to system integration, field testing, performance evaluation and documentation.
- Perform detailed analysis of system designs and test data, communicating the results to the team and external partners.
- Work effectively as part of a passionate and multi-disciplinary team and help out on all aspects of robot's autonomy and software.
- Manage and lead internal and external R&D projects.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- PhD or Master in Robotics, autonomous systems or relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing autonomy algorithms and software on real robotic and autonomous systems.
- Strong skills in C++/C programming.
- Proficient in working with Linux OS.
- Ability to generate production-ready code and software.
- Attention to detail and an advocate for rigorous testing and analysis.
- Strong analytical skills to solve complex problems.
- Demonstrated innovative thinking and the ability to thrive in a dynamic and collaborative work environment.
- A record of science innovation and creativity (patents, publications, working prototypes, or other achievements)
- Ability and willingness to develop novel technologies that will advance the state-of-the-art of autonomous systems.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Experience developing and implementing autonomy algorithms on drones and/or unmanned ground vehicles.
- Strong expertise on all aspects of autonomous systems including sensing, sensor fusion, control, navigation, perception, path planning, exploration, etc.
- Familiarity with navigation sensors such as LiDARs, IMUs, Cameras etc.
- Experience with building and deploying autonomous robots in the field.
- Familiarity and experience with ROS and/or other real-time systems.
- Exposure to professional software development processes and practices.
- Strong publication record in international journals and conferences.
- Competitive remuneration package including superannuation.
- Participation in employee share option scheme (Equity).
- Work with a friendly and passionate team on cutting edge technology.
- Genuine learning and development opportunities.
- Four weeks annual leave.
- Flexible work hours.
- Great work environment and facilities.
Emesent embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.