Data Engineer - spatial data, C++, SQL / NoSQL
Emesent has built a reputation as the key leader in automating data collection in challenging environments. Our award-winning technology, Hovermap, utilises innovative hardware, advanced algorithms and machine learning to automate collection and analysis of the physical world. Customers are able to acquire data in GPS-denied environments gaining insights that were not possible before. Our rapidly growing customer base are in the fields of mining, infrastructure and survey & mapping.
Starting from a humble vision in Brisbane, Australia, with deep connections to Australia's globally recognised CSIRO, and building to a mid-sized global organisation in just 12 months, our growth speaks for itself.
At Emesent we pride ourselves on the way our people operate. Our global talent are a cut above the rest who are at the top of their game, thriving in a collaborative environment. The work culture here is inclusive with the perfect balance of delivering results and pushing the boundaries all whilst having a little fun!
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced Data Engineer to join our analytics team with a focus on developing our data platform to support the development of analytics software for Hovermap data. You will be responsible for developing the data system that efficiently stores, indexes, queries and manages the large amounts of high density spatial data that our payload and software algorithms are capable of producing.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design and implement software for efficiently storing, indexing and querying large volumes of spatial data.
- Develop databases and data interface APIs with examples and documentation for internal use.
- Analyse performance and system requirements for expected use cases.
- Work with software engineers and other team members to optimise their use of the APIs.
- Engage with product managers, researchers, domain experts and other stakeholders to ensure the platform will meet current and future needs.
- Delivering high quality, high performance and well documented code.
- Implement automated testing and develop manual testing procedures as appropriate.
- Contribute to internal and external documentation such as design documents and user manuals.
Essential Qualifications and Skills
- Strong expertise in software development with C++ and SQL/No-SQL.
- Experience developing systems that maintain high performance when dealing with large volumes of data.
- Experience developing SQL and/or NoSQL databases that form part of larger systems.
- Experience developing APIs that are used by other developers and teams.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Self motivated with a strong desire to ensure good outcomes for stakeholders.
- Qualifications (Bachelor+) in software engineering or a related field.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- LiDAR mapping and SLAM experience will be very highly regarded.
- Geospatial SQL databases (e.g. PostGIS) experience.
- 3D data analysis software experience.
- Surveying or GIS tools and software experience.
- Experience with python or other scripting languages.
- Experience with cloud computing or cluster computing.
- Experience working on both Windows and Linux.
- Competitive remuneration package including superannuation.
- Participation in employee share option scheme (Equity).
- Work with a friendly and passionate team on cutting edge technology.
- Genuine learning and development opportunities.
- Four weeks annual leave.
- Flexible work hours.
- Great work environment and facilities.