Electrical Design Engineer - Energy Storage System
Washington D.C. region or remote USA /
EV Solutions – Engineering and Technology /
About Energy Vault
Energy Vault develops sustainable energy storage solutions designed to transform the world’s approach to utility-scale energy storage for grid resiliency. Our proprietary gravity-based Energy Storage Technology and the Energy Storage Management and Integration Platform are intended to help utilities, independent power producers and large industrial energy users significantly reduce their levelized cost of energy while maintaining power reliability. Utilizing eco-friendly materials with the ability to integrate waste materials for beneficial re-use, Energy Vault is facilitating the shift to a circular economy while accelerating the clean energy transition for its customers. Energy Vault is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbols NRGV and NRGV WS. For more information, please visit www.energyvault.com.
Position Title: Electrical Design Engineer – Energy Storage System
Reports To: Chief Technology Officer, EV Solutions
Location: Washington DC region with some work-from-home flexibility or REMOTE USA
About EV Solutions
EV Solutions is a division within Energy Vault that focuses on creating technology agnostic customer focused solutions. Utilizing its proprietary hardware architecture and technology agnostic software controls and optimization platform EVS caters to customers in enabling a renewable energy world.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced and hands-on Electrical Design Engineer – Energy Storage Systems (ESS) to join our team. As our perfect candidate for the role, you will provide leadership with our product development and project delivery by establishing processes and creating technical documents. As we rapidly grow and deliver several projects simultaneously globally, you will help document and build scalable processes, technical solutions, and products.
· Lead the design, validation test, and implementation of all power system of the battery storage system. This includes but is not limited to:
· Design, size, and select MV electrical components including transformer, switchgear with protection devices, and inverters.
· Design, size, and select DC system components including DC busbar, disconnect, conductors, etc.
· Design, size, and engineer LV auxiliary components compromising switchboard, fuses, breakers, aux transformer, and conduits.
· Perform in-depth evaluation of power electronic systems like DC/AC converters
· Plan design verification tests for AC/DC converter and DC systems.
· Coordinate with external partners to perform tests for our DC and AC systems.
· Prepare and maintain product development technical documents such as all technical design philosophy, calculations, datasheets, bill of material, diagrams, and layouts
· Assist project delivery team in preparation of customer’s required documents such as system level SLD, cable and conduit sizing, cable routing diagrams.
· Work with customer to determine system requirements and verify our solution will meet and exceed our customer’s requirements
What a qualified candidate should possess
· Master’s Degree in Electrical/Power Systems Engineering (PhD a plus)
· 5+ years’ experience in design of electrical and power systems in product development or project engineering role
· Solid experience with relevant industry codes and standards such as NEC, UL, CE, IEC.
· Experience with design of current collection systems including cables, busbars, etc.
· Experience with electrical studies such as power flow, short circuit, and fault analysis
· Experience with design and selection of protection systems including SPD, fusing, disconnects, and circuit breakers
· Experience with 1500VDC, Medium Voltage AC systems and distribution systems a plus
· Experience with designing, testing, analyzing, evaluating power electronics systems (AC/DC and DC/DC converters)
· Experience with AutoCad or other drafting tools for creating simple 1-line and 3-line diagrams
· Familiarity with ETAP, SKM, or similar tools are preferred
· Experience in renewable energy or energy storage industry a plus
· Willingness to travel
At Energy Vault we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. We believe inclusion creates opportunity for collaborative excellence through diversity of thought. We invite individuals of all genders, races, identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, national origins, abilities, protected veteran status, religions, educational and socioeconomic backgrounds to explore employment with our organization.