Network Security Engineer (Hybrid/Cloud)
Westlake Village, CA (or remote USA) /
Operations and Engineering – Information Technology /
About Energy Vault
Energy Vault develops sustainable energy storage solutions designed to transform the world’s approach to utility-scale energy storage for grid resiliency. Our proprietary gravity-based Energy Storage Technology and the Energy Storage Management and Integration Platform are intended to help utilities, independent power producers and large industrial energy users significantly reduce their levelized cost of energy while maintaining power reliability. Utilizing eco-friendly materials with the ability to integrate waste materials for beneficial re-use, Energy Vault is facilitating the shift to a circular economy while accelerating the clean energy transition for its customers. Energy Vault is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbols NRGV and NRGV WS. For more information, please visit www.energyvault.com.
Position Title: Network Security Engineer
Location: Westlake Village, CA or REMOTE (USA)
About the role
As a Network Security Engineer, you will develop, implement, and incrementally improve the secure network operations framework for the enterprise. This role is highly technical in nature and spans a spectrum of disciplines with a focus on network and architecture security spanning both on-premises and cloud architectures and associated services. The role will require architecture design skills, proactive monitoring, root cause analysis, auditing, as well as the ability to work cross functionally with various other disciplines. The main objective of this role is to communicate and cross-functionally collaborate to continually improve, scale, and secure an evolving IT ecosystem ensuring the highest levels of network security internally and externally. Strong innovation, curiosity, automation, communication, and organizational skills along with some out-of-the-box thinking will make you successful in this role. Energy Vault is a rapidly growing company so you will have an opportunity to be diverse and play an integral part in the company’s future security posture as the company scales.
What you will do
- Provide high-quality, cost-effective engineering to streamline security testing, evaluation, and reporting.
- Develop as necessary Infrastructure as Code (IaC) using technologies like Terraform and CloudFormation
- Establish a consistent active and passive threat hunting capability using passive scanning technologies such as tenable, rapid7, and intrusion detection and prevention services instilling security first mindset and awareness across the company
- Establish an effective, repeatable, and secure architecture framework for both internal and external stakeholders using industry best practices for design, efficiency, and cybersecurity.
- Participate in technical design reviews, integration, testing, and documentation efforts.
- Identify threats and develop suitable defense measures of existing architectures, as well as evaluate system changes for security implementation, and recommend security enhancements
- Assist with planning, implementation, and maintenance of a comprehensive enterprise-wide security program that protects Energy Vaults information and technology ecosystem
- Effectively respond to all reported security incidents and other reports of suspicious behavior related to the network
- Monitor and test network performance for potential bottlenecks and vulnerabilities, identify possible solutions, and work cross functionally to implement solutions and improvements
What a qualified candidate should possess
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- 5+ years of work experience
- Security related certification would be a nice to have (Security+, AWS Security, CSA)
- Experience with handling complex hybrid network architectures (VPN Protocols and Ciphers, SSL, PKI, OAuth, SAML)
- Experience using GitLab, Rapid7 InsightVM, Tenable
- Experience working with Cloud and Cloud Native architectures (e.g. Lambda, docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience with physical routers and firewalls as well as cloud architecture security best practices (i.e. VPC, VPN, ACL, Security Groups, IAM, proxy, ALB, etc..).
- Experience doing root cause analysis, risk assessments, and participating in postmortems
- Foundational cyber security knowledge in architecture, attacker methodologies, digital forensics, and incident response.
- Familiar with Agile and DevSecOps (CI/CD) practices
- Familiar with information security best practices (NIST, CMMC, CSA, OWASP, ISO)
- Strong communication (verbal and non-verbal) and organizational skills, innovative, open-minded, and a team player
- Must be willing to travel domestic and international an estimated 15-25%
- A passion for sustainability, our mission, and our vision is a bonus!
At Energy Vault we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. We believe inclusion creates opportunity for collaborative excellence through diversity of thought. We invite individuals of all genders, races, identities, ethnicities, sexual orientations, national origins, abilities, protected veteran status, religions, educational and socioeconomic backgrounds to explore employment with our organization.