Business Development Lead
San Francisco, CA /
• optimists who think technology and finance can be powerful forces for good;
• self-starters who check our egos at the door; and
• practitioners of curiosity, humility, pragmatism, experimentation, and integrity.
We have come together to do the best work of our lives in service of our mission. If this resonates with you, please read on!
We urgently need to decarbonize our economy and remove tens of billions of tons of CO2e from the atmosphere in order to combat and reverse climate change. This will require trillions of dollars worth of new infrastructure, from clean power plants to alternative fuel refineries and more.
At Evergrow, we create systems that direct capital to carbon project development. Our mission is to ensure our future on Earth by enabling and accelerating every project that reduces humanity’s carbon footprint, and our plan is to support the permanent avoidance or removal of 1 billion tons of CO2e by 2030, scaling to 1 billion tons/year shortly thereafter.
We're getting started by providing "offtake" contracts to projects that produce carbon-linked commodities. Offtake contracts are important because they are the bedrock of most infrastructure finance, and they have historically been very hard to find for carbon projects. By providing offtake for carbon commodities, we unlock low-cost financing for carbon project development at meaningful scale. We are also building tooling and value-added services for project developers to accelerate their work to reduce, avoid, and remove carbon emissions.
Our founding team has spent time at leading companies and institutions, including Google, Salesforce, Clearbit, Columbia, MIT, and Y Combinator. We are backed by leading investors from Silicon Valley and beyond, including XYZ Venture Capital, Congruent Ventures, First Round Capital, Garuda Ventures, My Climate Journey, Skyview Ventures, and founders and senior executives from Plaid, Brex, Twitch, Instacart, Charm Industrial, Living Carbon, and Bridgewater Associates.
You don't need to match every listed requirement to apply for a position. We're looking for diverse perspectives, and encourage applicants from a wide range of backgrounds with a panoply of life experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About this Role
- You'll build strategic business relationships with carbon reduction project developers, focusing initially on developers producing LCFS credits and regulated carbon offsets
- You’ll assist in project-level due-diligence efforts on our transactions, working with our team of analysts and software engineers to assess financial, legal, and technical risk
- You’ll develop a deep familiarity with the state of the market, creatively exploring new product and finance opportunities and socializing with project developers
- You'll seek to understand and develop empathy for the day-to-day challenges and opportunities inherent in carbon and related project development
- You’ll represent Evergrow at relevant industry events and conferences
This might be for you if...
- You’ve thrived in client-facing business development or sales roles
- You’re comfortable with the language of finance, having spent time in finance-related roles or otherwise have a finance background
- You're an excellent communicator and consummate negotiator, able balance the sometimes competing priorities of multiple stakeholders
- You’re a creative thinker, able to create structure and value from ambiguity
- You are naturally numerate and attuned to detail
- You're energized to work in the context of an early-stage, experimental, quickly-moving startup
What benefits can I expect?
We offer premium benefits to keep our team happy and healthy:
🏥 Top-tier health, dental, and vision insurance
🧑💻 New laptop/equipment of your choice
🥕 Daily lunch on us
🏝 Flexible vacation time
🌳 Regular team retreats
🐶 Dog-friendly office in the Ferry Building
Is this role only full-time? Can I work remotely?
This role is full-time and based on-site in San Francisco. We're a small, tight-knit team right now and prefer to work all in one place for now so we can go faster, build trust, and solve complex problems together. That being said, we know life happens, so we've reserved one day a week to work from home as needed.
Will you help me to relocate?
Yes! If you're based elsewhere in the U.S. (or internationally and U.S. visa eligible), we're open to helping you move to San Francisco and happy to cover relocation costs.