Head of Finance
San Francisco, CA /
Finance & Capital Markets /
At Evergrow, we seek to build and sustain a carbon-neutral world. We plan to do so by unlocking solutions which reduce 1 gigaton of CO2e by 2030, scaling to 1 gigaton per year every year thereafter. We are fulfilling this mission by making financing accessible for those creating low-carbon infrastructure and technology (e.g., wind, solar, renewable natural gas). The new climate bill passed by Congress this summer is a game-changer for renewable energy project developers, and we are building solutions to ensure they can take advantage of associated financial benefits. Our transparency and speed materially lowers transaction costs and helps more projects get built, ultimately accelerating decarbonization.
Our team has spent time at leading companies (e.g., Google, BCG, McKinsey & Co., D.E. Shaw, Pinterest) and academic institutions (e.g., Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Princeton). We are backed by leading investors from Silicon Valley and beyond, including XYZ Venture Capital, Congruent Ventures, First Round Capital, Garuda Ventures, My Climate Journey, Skyview Ventures, and founders and senior executives from Plaid, Brex, Twitch, Instacart, Charm Industrial, Living Carbon, and Bridgewater Associates.
You don't need to match every listed requirement to apply for a position, and we especially encourage individuals with traditionally under-represented backgrounds to apply. In particular, we are seeking people of color, women, those with disabilities, and those who identify as LGBTQIA to join our team. We want to build a company with diverse perspectives because we know they make our team stronger and better equipped to serve all decarbonization stakeholders.
About this Role
Reporting directly to the Founder and Chief Executive Officer, our Head of Finance and Operations will create, structure, and raise capital for financial products that unlock the future of decarbonization. Specifically, Evergrow’s products require us to raise, manage, and deliver attractive risk-adjusted returns for capital providers. We source capital from a wide range of partners, including investment funds, insurance / reinsurance firms, corporates, banks, and other financial entities. Ideally, you will bring direct experience with risk management strategy and models for transactions that shape the structure of our climate finance offerings. Experience with market-based trading and hedging activities (ideally with environmental attributes), and extensive professional networks with investors and capital markets, are a big plus. You will create the roadmap for Evergrow’s operational vision to deliver meaningful business impact in a risk-mitigated environment.
The expected salary range for candidates in San Francisco or Los Angeles, CA is $215,000 - $250,000, in addition to equity.
You will be responsible for ...
- Providing insightful and trusted counsel as a business partner to the CEO, on both financial and broad-based business issues related to overall company performance
- Analyzing business risks and opportunities and driving recommendations as they affect the financial results of the business
- Monitoring and disaggregating risk across the company’s products and consumers
- Monitoring changing tax policy initiatives related to climate and advising management on appropriate courses of action
- Understanding business constraints and operating metrics and translating them into achievable goals and KPIs
- Structuring financial products to meet capital partner and project developer needs
- Providing key input on our product roadmap, with a focus on the needs and objectives of capital providers
- Maintaining compliance with regulatory constraints, financial covenants, and other obligations
- Recruiting, motivating, and mentoring a growing team that will scale with the organization
This might be for you if you have ...
- Deep experience structuring and raising capital from institutional investors
- 10+ years of experience in investment management, capital markets, or project financing, having led fundraising initiatives within the clean energy market
- Experience working with derivatives and/or commodities such as carbon, oil, or natural gas, especially in an investment management or risk management context
- Ability to initiate and drive growth and have the flexibility to adapt to a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Multidisciplinary experience in risk, finance and product development
- Ability to develop and implement financial systems, tools, and processes to increase business clarity
- Tax-equity financing experience is a plus
- Passion for sustainability and Evergrow’s mission
- Low ego and action-oriented self-starter who can set strategy and drive execution
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, comfort with "building the plane as we fly it"
- Strong people leadership skills including cross-functional collaboration and experience with engaging and developing an organization
Why should I join Evergrow?
We believe there are many reasons to join us, but they boil down to 3 key points:
• Our mission - We are, first and foremost, a mission-driven company. We exist to create impact, and all of our work is focused on achieving our mission of reducing 1GT of CO2e by 2030 and every year thereafter. We only create and deploy products and services in service of this goal.
• Our team - We have brought together an immensely talented, thoughtful, and mission-driven team to help us achieve our goals. We deeply care about the work we do, are highly collaborative, and are eager to welcome other likeminded people to our team.
• Our challenge - Combatting climate change will require enormous, multi-faceted solutions. If you are ready to take on complex problems and build these solutions from the ground up, we think you'll be a great fit.
What benefits can I expect?
We offer premium benefits to keep our team happy and healthy:
🏥 Top-tier health, dental, and vision insurance
🧑💻 New laptop / equipment of your choice
🥕 Daily lunch on us
🏝 Flexible vacation time
🌳 Regular team retreats
🐶 Dog-friendly office in the Ferry Building
🌐 Visa and / or green card sponsorship (our CEO's first startup focused on streamlining immigration!)
Is this role only full-time? Can I work remotely?
This role is full-time and based on-site in either San Francisco or Los Angeles. We're a small, tight-knit team right now and prefer to work in the office so we can go faster, build trust, and solve complex problems together. That being said, we know life happens, so we've reserved one day a week to work from home as needed.
Will you help me relocate? Yes! If you're based elsewhere in the U.S. (or internationally and U.S. visa eligible), we're happy to help you move and to cover relocation costs.