Head of Finance & Capital Markets
San Francisco, CA /
Finance & Capital Markets /
• optimists who think technology and finance can be powerful forces for good;
• self-starters who check our egos at the door; and
• practitioners of curiosity, humility, pragmatism, experimentation, and integrity.
We have come together to do the best work of our lives in service of combatting the climate crisis. If this resonates with you, please read on!
At Evergrow, we seek to build and sustain a carbon-neutral world. We plan to do so by unlocking solutions which reduce 1 gigaton of CO2e by 2030, scaling to 1 gigaton per year every year thereafter.
Specifically, we are developing a suite of products and services for decarbonization project developers. We are starting with a financial product that shields developers from carbon credit price volatility, helping them access the capital needed to get their projects off the ground. We will be quickly expanding this suite of products and services so that we can become the ultimate support system for decarbonization developers.
Our team has spent time at leading companies (e.g., Google, BCG, McKinsey & Co., D.E. Shaw, Pinterest) and academic institutions (e.g., Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Princeton). We are backed by leading investors from Silicon Valley and beyond, including XYZ Venture Capital, Congruent Ventures, First Round Capital, Garuda Ventures, My Climate Journey, Skyview Ventures, and founders and senior executives from Plaid, Brex, Twitch, Instacart, Charm Industrial, Living Carbon, and Bridgewater Associates.
You don't need to match every listed requirement to apply for a position, and we especially encourage individuals with traditionally under-represented backgrounds to apply. In particular, we are seeking people of color, women, those with disabilities, and those who identify as LGBTQIA to join our team. We want to build a company with diverse perspectives because we know they make our team stronger and better equipped to serve all decarbonization stakeholders.
About this Role
We are looking for an experienced leader to build and own our finance and capital markets team. In this senior leadership role, you will work closely with our CEO to create, structure, and raise capital for financial products that unlock the future of decarbonization. Specifically, our products require us to raise, manage, and deliver attractive risk-adjusted returns for our capital providers. We source capital from a wide range of partners, including investment funds, insurance / reinsurance firms, corporates, banks, and other financial entities.
To be successful in this role, you bring a track record of successfully launching and raising substantial capital for new financial / fintech products, and effectively managing profitability and risk once these products are off the ground. You also have prior leadership and management experience at a pre-IPO company. Ideally, you have direct experience raising capital from institutional and / or retail investors, and a deep understanding of investor archetypes and needs, to shape the structure of our climate finance offerings. Experience with market-based trading and hedging activities (ideally with environmental attributes), and extensive professional networks with investors and capital markets, are a big plus.
We strongly prefer candidates who have a demonstrated passion for solving the climate crisis. Our entire team is dedicated to finding solutions to this challenge, and we are looking for likeminded people to join us as we grow.
You will be responsible for ...
- Bringing our suite of decarbonization finance products from 0 to 1
- Structuring our financial products to meet capital partner and project developer needs
- Leading our fundraising efforts to launch and manage our capital solutions rapidly and at-scale
- Developing our capital risk management processes, including market-based trading/hedging
- Providing key input for our product roadmap, with a focus on the needs and objectives of capital providers
- Managing our capital partner / investor relationships before, during and after new product launch
This might be for you if you have...
- 10+ years of experience in finance and capital markets, including time spent working at a top-tier investment bank, hedge fund, or similar
- Experience at a startup and comfort with "building the plane as we fly it"
- Experience structuring and raising capital from institutional investors, especially structured notes or closed-end funds/other permanent capital vehicles
- Experience working with derivatives and/or commodities such as oil, natural gas, electricity, and environmental attributes, especially in a trading or risk management context
- Experience recruiting, managing, and leading a team of high performers and working cross-functionally
- A desire to lead a team at an early-stage startup with category-defining ambitions
- A passion for applying financial innovation to accelerate decarbonization and a strong desire to work on climate
Why should I join Evergrow?
We believe there are many reasons to join us, but they boil down to 3 key points:
• Our mission - We are, first and foremost, a mission-driven company. We exist to create impact, and all of our work is focused on achieving our mission of reducing 1GT of CO2e by 2030 and every year thereafter. We only create and deploy products and services in service of this goal.
• Our team - We have brought together an immensely talented, thoughtful, and mission-driven team to help us achieve our goals. We deeply care about the work we do, are highly collaborative, and are eager to welcome other likeminded people to our team.
• Our challenge - Combatting climate change will require enormous, multi-faceted solutions. If you are ready to take on complex problems and build these solutions from the ground up, we think you'll be a great fit.
What benefits can I expect?
We offer premium benefits to keep our team happy and healthy:
🏥 Top-tier health, dental, and vision insurance
🧑💻 New laptop / equipment of your choice
🥕 Daily lunch on us
🏝 Flexible vacation time
🌳 Regular team retreats
🐶 Dog-friendly office in the Ferry Building
🌐 Visa and / or green card sponsorship (our CEO's first startup focused on streamlining immigration!)
Is this role only full-time? Can I work remotely?
This role is full-time and based on-site in San Francisco. We're a small, tight-knit team right now and prefer to work all in one place for now so we can go faster, build trust, and solve complex problems together. That being said, we know life happens, so we've reserved one day a week to work from home as needed.
Will you help me to relocate?
Yes! If you're based elsewhere in the U.S. (or internationally and U.S. visa eligible), we're happy to help you move to San Francisco and to cover relocation costs.