Data Scientist, Finance Analytics
San Francisco, CA /
Extend is modernizing the $100 billion-per-year extended warranty and protection plan industry with new cutting-edge technology and top-notch customer servicing. With a $40M Series B round of funding, we are ready to continue scaling our organization.
Our API-first solution allows any merchant to offer extended warranties and protection plans, both online and offline, while also providing a merchant's end customers with a vastly improved and modern support experience that eliminates many of the issues customers face today with legacy underwriters.
We are a venture-backed startup based in downtown San Francisco (and since COVID began, fully remotely) that is headed by founders who have previously led multiple successful exits. Extend is simplifying the technology stack for the extended warranty industry in the same ways that Stripe did for online payments and Affirm did for consumer point-of-sale financing.
About the Role:
This is a data science/analytics hire to support Extend's Risk and Analytics team, focused on assisting the Finance organization with projects related to data and financial reporting, investor due diligence, and KPIs and metrics for tracking overall business operations. You will have the opportunity to help scale within the organization.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Collaborating with stakeholders across the organization to establish the highest business priorities and opportunities by measuring expected reach and impact for operations-focused teams
- Work with our Risk & Analytics team to build deep-dive analytics to help drive step-change improvements in efficiency (beyond day-to-day workforce management), and build metrics to measure performance of the business
- Partner with the Finance team and senior leadership in facilitating the generation of financial reporting for recurring requirements such as invoicing and revenue recognition, and assembling data and analyses for requests related to investor due diligence and capital raising.
- Performing exploratory data analysis to assemble metrics and KPIs to assess and gauge activity across the Extend platform, and support teams throughout Extend by delivering analyses and recommending process improvements to help the business continue to scale
- Support business operations, finance, revenue operations, and other internal teams by building analytics and reporting to understand overall business performance and increase organizational efficiencies
What We Are Looking For:
- A curious, entrepreneurial leader with plenty of grit, analytical prowess, creative thinking, and initiative
- 2-4 years of analytics, management consulting, finance, and/or strategic operations experience with a digital product or service
- Experience in performing financial analyses and reporting, supporting BizOps and FP&A teams, and assisting with investor due diligence for capital raising
- Experience with SQL and Python, R or Julia, experience with Machine Learning and/or forecasting is a plus
- Experience in the retail or fintech landscape is a plus
- Ability and interest in thinking beyond the revenue organization, considering the challenges of other teams, and prioritizing what is best for the business holistically, is essential
- Ability to communicate across the organization, especially to teams with less data & analytics experience
- Empathy and humility
Life at Extend:
- Working with a great team from diverse backgrounds in a collaborative and supportive environment
- Competitive salary based on experience, with full medical and dental benefits
- Stock in an early-stage startup that is growing quickly
- Flexible vacation policy
- Monthly team events