Senior Director, Biology
Biology & Translation /
Flare Therapeutics is a biotechnology company pioneering a new therapeutic space with a novel approach to decipher the biology of transcription factors to develop small molecule medicines. Based on insights from the seminal work of its scientific founders, Flare’s team has uncovered ‘switch sites,’ druggable regions that are key targets for transcription factor regulation, to address mutations that cause disease. Flare’s drug discovery efforts to target switch sites has rapidly advanced, resulting in an emerging pipeline of research programs that address well-validated genetically-defined transcription factors, initially focused on precision oncology with future potential in neurology, rare genetic disorders, immunology and inflammation.
We are a collective of brilliant fires, trailblazing a path to conquer transcription factors and create cutting-edge medicines for patients. We embrace diversity in all its forms, experiences, and viewpoints. We are inspired by the unknown and willing to take risks. We are passionate about the science we pursue and compassionate about the patients it stands to benefit. And we respect, value, and believe in each other.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced biologist to join a highly entrepreneurial, top-tier, private, biotech company at an early stage. Reporting to the VP, Biology, the Senior Director will bring in vivo and preclinical expertise to bear, whilst supporting the biology team evolution to meet the growing demands of a rapidly maturing pipeline. The ideal candidate will also contribute to the overall emerging strategy to position Flare’s portfolio for future success.
In this role you will…
- Act as biology lead for an oncology asset through IND-enabling studies, with responsibilities to manage a cross-functional matrixed team in collaboration with the medicinal chemistry lead, to address complex transcription factor drug development challenges as the program advances.
- Engage and integrate functional support from biochemistry, structural biology, and proteomics disciplines to drive mechanistic understanding of small molecule modulators of transcription factors to improve compound characteristics commensurate with development candidate nomination.
- Lead a group of biologists and oversee general strategy and experimental design, including identification and testing of compounds in appropriate preclinical models in vitro and in vivo
- Interpret scientific data and regularly present to the scientific and management teams to inform data-driven decisions on future strategy.
- Contribute to the strategic vision to understand the effects of perturbation of transcription factors and provide subject matter expertise that enables target prioritization at the earliest stages of drug discovery emerging from the engine with opportunities to engage and influence senior leadership decision-making.
- You have a PhD in molecular or cellular biology, or related field.
- You have 10+ years of related experience in oncology R&D in biotech/pharma and a strong track record of productivity and ability to lead programs.
- You may have experience in oncology and/or transcriptional regulation, small molecule drug development experience and highly preferable to have direct experience in IND filings in oncology.
- You have strong leadership skills and experience managing cross-functional teams.
- You may also have experience in omics data mining and analysis.
- You consider yourself to be a self-starter with great ability to prioritize and balance multiple tasks, meet multiple deadlines, and thrive in a dynamically changing and fast-paced environment.
- You have strong communication skills, both written and verbal, including strong presentation skills.
- You have a strong passion for science and are driven by making a meaningful contribution for patients.
Flare is proud to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive company culture that embraces all people that are essential to who we are, what we do and what we believe. Flare Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion or belief (or lack thereof), sex, nationality, national or ethnic origin, civil status, age, citizenship status, membership of the Traveler community, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, familial status, marital or registered civil partnership status, pregnancy or parental status, gender identity, gender reassignment, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application process. Please contact us to discuss any accommodations you think you may need.
TO ALL AGENCIES: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Flare about our openings. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Flare via email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Flare, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Flare for this position and a valid agreement with Flare is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Flare agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.