DevOps Engineer — All Experience Levels (Actifai)
Washington, DC /
Actifai – Engineering /
Full-Time (Remote Available)
Actifai is an artificial intelligence company. We help clients optimize their high value, high leverage decisions. Typically this includes things like customer acquisition, customer retention, and customer development (upsells/cross-sells).
Actifai is part of Foundry.ai, a technology fund/studio that creates AI software companies in partnership with large global enterprises. Foundry’s operating companies focus on practical applications of AI that drive immediate, measurable, and recurring improvements to financial performance. Foundry is backed by approximately $100MM in capital from leading private equity and venture capital partners.
The DevOps Engineer will participate as a key team member in envisioning, designing, coding, testing and improving the products that are central to our mission as a company. They will work in continual collaboration with software engineers, data scientists, and partner company stakeholders.
The DevOps Engineer will wear many hats. Some key challenges will include: working with a modern DevOps tech stack built on GCP with Terraform and Kubernetes; instilling best practices into the development process, including automated testing, code organization and style, and application architecture within an agile environment; evaluating potential new technologies; writing code that builds new companies and products.
Successful entry-level candidates will likely have many of the following characteristics:
- A DevOps engineer with 2+ years experience architecting and deploying cloud systems
- Familiarity with modern cloud security practices and SOC2 compliance
- Proven ability in writing clean, scalable code with significant experience in one or more programming languages
- Familiarity with data pipelines and modern data engineering
- Solid knowledge of *nix system administration
- Excited to move fast and know how to prioritize and make critical decisions
- A self-starter: you have started something on your own before — an open-source project, a new project within a company, a start-up, or something else
- Can effectively communicate systems issues to business professionals, and business issues to other DevOps engineers
Senior candidates will often differentiate themselves with some of the following:
- Proven capability in creating a successful software product; owning/implementing key decisions on features, architecture, scaling, and profitability — particularly in AI or solving a novel problem
- Experience planning and executing work modules that span several months
- Exceptional business background (e.g., managing client relationships and scoping projects while leading an engineering team)
Candidates should hold a very strong CS, math, physics or similar degree from a leading program. PhD applicants are actively considered. Successful candidates will be comfortable in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, but one that is focused on developing reusable software applications, not bespoke analytical solutions.
Benefits and Culture
Actifai offers an extremely competitive compensation package, including equity, employer-covered health/vision/dental insurance (with an optional FSA), and 401k matching. Employees receive a generous PTO allowance, and can work both remotely and from our office in downtown Washington, D.C. Successful candidates will join a small team of ambitious, supportive co-workers with ample opportunities to take on responsibilities beyond their assigned role.
For additional information on benefits & what it's like to work at Actifai, please visit actif.ai/careers.
Finally, we highlight that excellence has no single mold, particularly in a field as rapidly evolving as AI. We're looking for excellent candidates of all backgrounds with strong business intuition and coding skills, and welcome applicants regardless of ethnic/national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.