Director of Digital Manufacturing Engineering
San Leandro, CA /
Manufacturing Engineering /
Gantri is the world’s first digital manufacturer for creative lighting. We help independent designers, studios, and influencers to develop original, sustainably made lighting designs and sell directly to consumers. We manufacture and fulfill all orders on-demand using 3D printing from innovative plant-based materials.
Since launching in 2017, we’ve collaborated with the world’s best designers and studios, including Ammunition (Beats by Dre), Smart Design (OXO), and Karim Rashid. We’re the most awarded lighting brand in the US, winning Time’s Best Inventions, Fast Company’s Most Innovative in Design, and many other awards.
Gantri is seeking a seasoned and ambitious additive manufacturing leader to develop and scale our innovative 3D printing-based manufacturing process. Our smart factory in San Leandro, California is designed using Industry 4.0 principles, utilizing 3D printing, software, and automation to deliver award-winning products on demand. This factory is currently the world's largest 3D print farm. Our vision is to replicate it around the world.
The Digital Manufacturing Engineering team's mission is to develop robust, efficient, and scalable digital manufacturing technologies to facilitate the on-demand production of design-forward, sustainable home goods. Currently, we operate an FDM 3D printing-based manufacturing process that supports two custom-developed plant polymer blends for use in our lighting products.
As the Director of Digital Manufacturing Engineering, you will lead a team of manufacturing, robotics, and mechanical engineers in defining, developing, documenting, training, deploying, and maintaining manufacturing and test processes at the factory. You will be leading one of the most crucial teams at Gantri, and driving the world's migration from century-old mass manufacturing to a digital, on-demand future. You will be a key member of Gantri's leadership team, working alongside the CEO and VP Manufacturing directly.
- Manage the Digital Manufacturing Engineering team to improve efficiency and lead time in the current 3D printing-based manufacturing process.
- Use robotics and software to automate labor-intensive parts of the production process.
- Develop and execute strategies for Gantri's long-term growth, including new 3D printers and materials for use in current and future product lines.
- Work closely with manufacturing operations to implement new processes.
- Support Industrial Design in developing new products.
- Recruit, develop, and train your team, and encourage effective leadership, decision-making, collaboration, and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to deploy and scale additive manufacturing processes
- Proven success in implementing robotics to improve manufacturing efficiency
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple cross-functional projects and priorities that have competing deadlines, in order to deliver results on time
- Strong technical foundation, with knowledge of engineering design, manufacturing methods, process improvement programs, lean manufacturing, security, and quality procedures
- Experienced in manufacturing analytics, quality assurance, and root cause analysis
- A builder's mindset, able to shift quickly between strategic thinking and hands-on implementation
- Exceptional managerial and employee development skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with others in a positive manner
- A Masters/PhD degree in Material/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or a similar technical field is preferred, or equivalent work experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in managing a team of 10 or more people.
- At least 5 years of experience with additive manufacturing.
- At least 12 years of experience in manufacturing engineering.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 15 day PTO
- Mental health benefits
- Fantastic culture - team dinners, socials, etc