Chicago, IL /
High Definition Vehicle Insurance – Engineering /
What we do
High Definition Vehicle Insurance (HDVI): Technology meets Insurance. HDVI brings telematics, software and data together with commercial trucking insurance, taking transportation insurance and fleet risk management to the next level. Our platform arms fleets with an end-to-end solution that empowers them to save money, mitigate risk, and increase operational efficiencies. Our customers are small to midsize truck fleet operators who benefit from dynamic and transparent pricing – automatically reducing their premiums for safer driving. Leveraging a best-in-class partner ecosystem, HDVI combines magnitude and stability with innovation to revolutionize the commercial trucking insurance space.
Why work here
HDVI is building the industry defining commercial auto insurance company for the next 100 years. The $50 billion commercial auto industry hasn’t seen real innovation for decades and is broken in a number of ways, creating a significant opportunity for HDVI. HDVI is co-founded by a former Esurance co-founder, and has a senior management team with experience building innovative insurance and logistics companies from zero to $1B+ enterprises, and deep expertise in trucking insurance. HDVI is well-funded by leading logistics and mobility-focused venture capital firms and strategic investors including Munich Re, Daimler Trucks and Qualcomm. The HDVI Team is values-driven, data-driven, ambitious, and collaboratively minded with a diverse background of experiences and skills in the insurance and logistics industries. We like challenges and building solutions that improve the quality of life for our customers. We offer generous benefits, including employee stock options, health, dental, vision, 401k, flexible work environment, and unlimited PTO.
About the role
Our company is seeking an experienced Engineering Manager with a strong background in logistics and insurance. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading and managing a team of engineers to deliver high-quality software products and solutions. The role requires hands-on coding experience, as well as expertise in Node.js and API integrations.
What You'll Do
- Manage a team of software engineers, including hiring, training, and mentoring team members
- Lead the technical design and implementation of software products and solutions
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure alignment on project goals, timelines, and deliverablesWrite clean, maintainable, and efficient code in Node.js and other relevant technologies
- Ensure the team is following industry best practices, coding standards, and processes for software development
- Participate in code reviews to ensure high-quality code and adherence to established standards
- Collaborate with product managers and stakeholders to ensure that software solutions meet business requirements
- Keep up to date with emerging technologies and industry trends relevant to logistics and insurance
What You Have
- Degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development, with at least 2 years in a leadership or management role
- Proficient in Node.js and MongoDB query language
- Proficient in SQL Server queries
- Experience with API integrations, testing, and building scalable, distributed systems
- Knowledge or industry experience in logistics and insurance domains
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Experience using vendors’ proprietary scripting or features to extend functionality
- Working knowledge of event-driven architecture, domain driven design, service-oriented architecture, and microservices
- Proven ability to work with cloud-based infrastructure: AWS Lambda, S3, CloudFront
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Policy administration systems
- Insurance industry
- Logistics industry
If you are interested in this position, please contact our Senior People Operations Specialist, Morgan Harrison. You can reach him at Morgan@hdvi.com.