San Francisco, CA /
Engineering – Engineering /
We believe that starting a business should be easier, and that hard work and careful business planning should be acknowledged, recognized, and rewarded. At Hatch, we are building software and financial products to help business owners start, plan, and grow their businesses. We started with a business line of credit with transparent and easy-to-understand terms, and can’t wait to show you what we’re building next. Hatch is a fintech startup headquartered in San Francisco, but with a remote presence all over the country.
As a back-end software engineer, you'll use your expertise to build financial software services for a new generation of small businesses. You'll build API's for all of Hatch's products, drive partner integrations, scale automated processes with rule-based and machine-learning models, and ship real-time accounting and money movement platforms moving millions of dollars.
You'll work with designers, product managers, front-end engineers, and other partners to bring beautiful products to life - while championing best practices for writing well-tested, easy-to-use, scalable, and durable code. You will pave the path for future engineers by setting engineering culture, processes, and guidelines for making sound technology decisions.
The back-end team supports all of Hatch's products. We care deeply about our consumers and do whatever it takes to create the best experience possible. We create reliable and easy-to-use APIs, and we make heavy use of queue messaging systems and recurring jobs with a focus on durability and correctness. We take pride in writing scalable code, so that present and future users can move and iterate quickly.
What you can expect
In your first month as a back-end engineer, you'll become familiar with the platform, processes, the codebase, and tooling. You'll begin by taking on incremental features and writing tests to validate these changes.
In the following months, you will own projects, make architecture design decisions for new systems, and start gaining breadth by touching many of our different systems at Hatch. Your technical depth in these systems will only continue to grow and we can't wait to see all that you will do!
Skills and experience
- Strong programming fundamentals - you should feel comfortable with using basic operations and common data structures
- Ability to work and thrive in a small group: strong communication, collaboration, and empathy
- Java, Kotlin, Scala, or some other strongly typed Object Oriented Programming.
- Backend web frameworks like Sparkjava, Ktor, Spring, Express, etc.
- Relational databases and writing SQL queries
- API integrations using libraries like Retrofit
- Writing tests and using libraries like JUnit, Mockito, Mockk, etc.
- Best-in-class Platinum HMO and PPO Health plans. Fully covered Beam Dental and VSP Vision insurance.
- 401k plan with 4% company matching.
- Monthly subsidy for health and wellness.
- Monthly subsidy for transit and commute.
- Untracked, flexible vacation policy (we encourage folks to take one week a quarter.)
- The Hatch Match: Annual donation match to a charity of your choice.
Hatch does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.